• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared backyard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whardridge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
My wife and i just moved into a home with an addition on the back that is used by someone else. We share a backyard and they said that i may only use my side, which is basically concrete and a 5x3 patch of grass. I wanna know if there is a property line and where would i find it. Or if we have to share the whole yard.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My wife and i just moved into a home with an addition on the back that is used by someone else. We share a backyard and they said that i may only use my side, which is basically concrete and a 5x3 patch of grass. I wanna know if there is a property line and where would i find it. Or if we have to share the whole yard.
You will want to have a survey of your property done.

LdiJ

Are you talking about a rental situation where you and your wife have one side of a double? Or is this some other setup? Its possible that there is no property line and that you share the entire backyard. It may be something different than that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you talking about a rental situation where you and your wife have one side of a double? Or is this some other setup? Its possible that there is no property line and that you share the entire backyard. It may be something different than that.
Good question - I hadn't thought of a rental situation. I assumed that the OP was a new property owner. :eek:

FarmerJ

if you are a renter and your lease is silent as to excluded areas or reserved areas then any common area use cannot be reasonably excluded from your use and if its just another tenant then they really do not have any say in this if your lease didn't address this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">