• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jj1638

Oklahoma

Have a shared driveway with access from the street and the alleyway to the street. When I park in the driveway in front, my neighbor complains and has told me that I cannot park in the driveway because he has no access to the back of his driveway pad. The pad on his side is such that his car scrapes when he goes out so he doesn't want to go out the alley side.

Sorry, yes, my question is: "Can I legally park in the driveway without fear of blocking him out because he has access to his driveway from the alley?"

Last edited:

Just Blue

Oklahoma

Have a shared driveway with access from the street and the alleyway to the street. When I park in the driveway in front, my neighbor complains and has told me that I cannot park in the driveway because he has no access to the back of his driveway pad. The pad on his side is such that his car scrapes when he goes out so he doesn't want to go out the alley side.
Okay...Did you have a legal question or did you just want to share?:confused:

jj1638

shared driveway

the question is: do i have a legal right to park in my driveway? i am not blocking as he has access to his side of the driveway pad from the alleyway.

154NH773

If he has rights to travel either way on the right of way then you may not block him, regardless of whether he has an alternative way of getting out.

FarmerJ

Carefully review your homes title and if there is nothing recorded granting them formal easement over your land and they have another way to get in even if they dont care to use it , then it is neighbors problem not yours. Neighbor will have to be able to prove that they have the right to use your property to access own property. With a alley way available to neighbor it could be very expensive for them to sue if there is nothing written into your title granting them a easement.

jj1638

shared driveway

I want to ask this question again in a different way.

I have a shared driveway with a neighbor. When I park in front he complains because he says that I am blocking his entry or exit. The driveway goes from the front street all the way to the alley. There is an entrance and exit to the street from the alley. His complaint is that he can't drive his little Miata off the pad and to the alley because of the slope of the pad. Scrapes the bottom of his undercarriage.

I have been here for 17 years and never had an issue with previous neighbors. He states that he doesn't want to see my truck in front of his porch. When I park in the front of the driveway, he still has entrance and egress to and from his pad from the alleyway.

His contention is that it is illegal to block him. I know that, but I am not blocking him because he can get in and out.

Now: my question is: Do I have a legal right to park in the driveway in front? He has somehow accessed my emails, don't know how but he has also emailed me telling me not park in there. I believe that it now is becoming a harrassment issue, because he keeps telling me that I can't park there.

Is this becoming a harrassment issue?

154NH773

I think you got your answer, but you don't like it.

If he has rights to travel either way on the right of way then you may not block him, regardless of whether he has an alternative way of getting out.
If he was granted full use of the right of way then he must be provided unrestricted access to the right of way in both directions. If your parking in no way restricts him, then you are OK, otherwise MOVE. He could see it that you are harassing him because you have continued to block him after being asked not to.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">