• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shared driveway costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonnytheboy

What is the name of your state?New York

I am the first house on a shared driveway with two other houses.
the distances from the main road work out to equal thirds.
Our dispute is cost of maintenance.
I feel that the first house should be responsible for one-third of the "first" third of driveway costs and no more, as I have no use of the driveway past that point.
... the middle house should be same PLUS one - half of "second" third and no more, as HE doesn't use the driveway past THAT point.
... last house should be same as above PLUS 100% of the "last" third, because he is the ONLY one using that final third.

I know, this sounds a bit dizzying, but when you think about it , it makes sense. ( draw it out on paper.) does anyone have an opinion or similar example ?
thanks !! Jonnytheboy
p.s. we all get along very well as neighbors, its just this one issue, and it involves alot of difference in cost.

S

seniorjudge

jonnytheboy said:
What is the name of your state?New York

I am the first house on a shared driveway with two other houses.
the distances from the main road work out to equal thirds.
Our dispute is cost of maintenance.
I feel that the first house should be responsible for one-third of the "first" third of driveway costs and no more, as I have no use of the driveway past that point.
... the middle house should be same PLUS one - half of "second" third and no more, as HE doesn't use the driveway past THAT point.
... last house should be same as above PLUS 100% of the "last" third, because he is the ONLY one using that final third.

I know, this sounds a bit dizzying, but when you think about it , it makes sense. ( draw it out on paper.) does anyone have an opinion or similar example ?
thanks !! Jonnytheboy
p.s. we all get along very well as neighbors, its just this one issue, and it involves alot of difference in cost.

I agree with you; sounds reasonable to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">