• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shared driveway dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FBS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I know this is a common theme amongst the forum but wanted post my situation as I believe there are some differences.

I share a driveway 50/50 with my neighbors. I have a parking pad and garage in the back, my neighbor does not. My property is an up-down duplex, which I lived in for two years. I moved in to another house with my fiance ~ 18 months ago and now rent the entire duplex. The downstairs tenant has rights to the parking pad in their lease, I use the garage for storage.

While I lived in the house, my neighbors continually blocked the shared driveway and parked on the curb/sidewalk in front of my house (illegal, and there is a hydrant there). Eventually, after me constantly asking them not to park there, they stopped.

Over the last six months, my tenants have begun to inform me that they are back the old tricks. Three months ago, I politely asked the neighbors not to park on the curb (as they had ruined my grass) and not to block the driveway. They claimed they had never done these things. Everything was quiet for a month or two.

After I replanted grass, my tenant called me to inform me that the neighbor had parked on it again. I called the police, they ticketed the vehicle (> $300 fine due to the hydrant) and all was good. Now, the neighbor is again blocking the driveway. He got into a heated argument with one of my tenants, referencing the ticket and telling them that he can block the driveway since he is a homeowner and they are renters.

What is my next step? I don't think talking to them is going to work, it hasn't before. Is a certified letter with return receipt the next way to go. Unfortunately, I don't see the resolving anywhere except the district magistrate's office.

Thank you.

Last edited:

drewguy

1) The owner/renter distinction is meaningless.
2) Keep calling the cops for the tickets
3) Write a letter as you say
4) If it still continues, hire a lawyer to sue for an injunction.

But really #2 is the way to go. $300 a pop is a pretty expensive lesson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">