• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Driveway Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

easementlaw

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Recently my husband and I purchased a 20 acre parcel that is land locked and accessible only by an ingress/egress easement driveway that was set forth in our deed. This was farmland that was divided up into 4 - 20 acre parcels, two back and two front. We purchased the far back right parcel. The easement is a 66 ft driveway that primarily runs between the front 2 parcels. The "driveway" was a very narrow rough gravel road that farm equipment had used in the past.

We do not plan on builiding for another four years - however two of our new neighbors have started to build their homes. In order for the power company to bring power to the neighbors, they required that the road be "finished" or at least built up. Without our consent or knowledge, the two neighbors began work on the road - done primarily with their own equipment and man power.

About a month ago, they sent us and our other non involved neighbor a bill for $3000.00 each payable in 30 days - mandated by them. They claim that they spent $12,000 on the road (gravel and rental of road equipment) and that we owe 1/4. There was never an agreement (especially since we were not aware) that we would ever pay any money to them. This road was finished for their own needs (to get power). I do not think we owe them a dime legally - and if we should decide to help out with any amount we can decide how much. There is no driveway upkeep clause that has to do with the easement. Am I right in thinking that we legally owe them nothing?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

carefully review all the documents that pertain to the easement in your homes title records to look for anything that addresses maintanence of the road . then call the electric company in that area where the property is to verify what you were told . If you dont know who it is call your current electric co to ask them if they have a map that could tell you likely who the firm is . If you dont understand the wording in the documents dont hesistate to use this web sites links to locate a local real estate atty . Since qwest sold off the yellow pages the phone books now that are around just stink .especially if your in the metro area . have your documents reviewed and take with you written info from the power co as well . also you need to ask what the cost was for the power co to bring the service they did in to where they did and who paid that . The atty can advise you properly how to proceed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">