• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Driveway and garage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phresh

Im in Portland Oregon My great aunt built a house next to her existing house in 1900, the property line runs thru the center of the driveway and the 2 car garage. I live in the house she built and her house has been sold and bought many times since.
I would like to acquire the whole driveway and garage for my lot. The house is going to be sold again this year sometime what options do I have?
Thank you
PhreshWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

drewguy

Im in Portland Oregon My great aunt built a house next to her existing house in 1900, the property line runs thru the center of the driveway and the 2 car garage. I live in the house she built and her house has been sold and bought many times since.
I would like to acquire the whole driveway and garage for my lot. The house is going to be sold again this year sometime what options do I have?
Thank you
Offer the seller to purchase a portion of the lot with the garage and driveway on it and then combine that portion of the lot with your property. You might need to offer an easement to share the driveway in return so the seller can at least market the other property as having driveway access (Not sure what layout is).

FarmerJ

Or Buy the house next door this way no matter what the lot lines are , you can rent the home next door and consider in the future selling them as a package , maybe someone else in the future would be more than happy to have both of them in order to tear one down or both to use the land for something else. Being a LL right next to your rental is not so bad , each party has a reasonable amount of privacy yet you will be able to easily moniter tenant behaviour many problem tenants will avoid having a LL live next door, short of that yes buying a strip of land if seller agrees to do so is not so bad BUT if your in a tight urban area where lots are tiny the city /county zoning rules might not permit a subdivision of the lot.

154NH773

As the others have said, you can offer to buy the portion of the driveway and garage. Until you have some indication of their willingness, there is little you can do, or we can offer in advice. Talk to them.

Now, as you've also been told, even if they are willing to sell, the city may not allow the subdivision of the property. You can talk to the city to get an idea if it would be permissable, but don't rely on an unofficial answer. You can only be certain once you've applied for and gotten final approval of the subdivision.

Farmer has the best idea. Buy the house yourself, and then you can pretty much do what you want. Sell the house with an easement to yourself for the driveway and garage, and rescind any current easement for a driveway for the other house. Since you would not be changing any property lines, the city would not be involved, unless, of course, there is a requirement for a garage or driveway for that house under some law or ordinance.

Last edited:

Phresh

Thank you all for your advice!

Thank you
I will talk to the owner ... and the city, I live next to the light rail ( MAX ) and they want more house's here so we will see what happens .
Thank you all very much!
Phresh

FarmerJ

Light rail = possible city desire for higher density housing in areas along route, if you bought the entire property it will make it much easier to sell both later on since it would be easier for a developer to buy , run as rental for long time while they wait and slowly buy other homes adjacent to them , to eventually get more land , Ive seen this many many times over the years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">