• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared driveway situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imperial926

:confused: What is the name of your state?New York City,Brooklyn. I own a shared driveway, and the other owner's of the shared driveway rent out the 2 garages in the rear of there house. The person they rented it to live's next door to them. This person has the garages full of junk (no room for cars), and is putting there car in front of the garages in an angle. Which makes it a tight squeeze for me to get by and park my car on my side. Also the person is using the same shared driveway to go through the rear of the owners house in front of the garages to his own back yard. So....For paying for garages that he's not using, give him the right to put his cars in the way and having a passage to his own backyard to park another car. Ive approched the person and tried to resolve the situation, but he claims that he has access, because he pays for parking. (In a nasty way) Ive spoke to one of the owners and they said to me that thats "there rental", and he has access! Its developing into a heated situation, because its also his on going parties on the weekend's that end up spilling over to my side... All I want to know is this against the law? Is it legal for the ownwer's next door to rent a shared driveway to a third party that dose not live there and is affecting my life. Some one told me that when a driveway is shared, the driveway is suppose to be shared by the owner's only, and tenant rental's of property. (Is This True ?) Also that I have to aggree to there rental.. Also sould'nt he ask me if it's O.K. to use the drive way to put a car in his back yard. Please, somebody help me with some legal advise so I could do the proper action to resolve this before somebody gets hurt.....It's getting ugly out here, the confrontations in front and around the driveway from HELL !

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

There is no such thing as a 'shared' driveway. One person owns it and another (or others) have easement rights. Or the driveway is owned 1/2 by each owner.

First, look at your deed to see if it is listed there and how it is listed and then come back.

imperial926

I looked At my deed and all my paperwok, and it dose'nt have anything in reference to the driveway. All it has is measurements, and I remember someone coming over and measuring from half the driveway to my side when I bought the house. I very much believe I own Half ,with the original owner owning the other half. I'ts always been mentioned in conversations between us owners. thanks.........

Last edited:

imperial926

Oh, I found another paper (Title page) It States: Driveway in common with adjoining property to the east extends onto ___________ Avenue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">