• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Wells

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeyKaz

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Shared wells

I share a well with five other people in my subdivision...the well-head is located on my property.

We all kick in a monthly stipend for maintenance, future repairs, etc. There is no written agreement between the parties. I have lived at this property for four years.

We recently had some repair work done that left my yard in disarray. It's work for which I have neither the resources or time to complete. My fellow well-mates say that it's not their problem and that I need to bear all the cost on my own.

Is this fair?? Do I have any legal recourse??

It seems to me that if these folks receive the benefit of almost free water, they should also have to share in ALL the costs associated with this benefit.

Am I correct in this assumption?? Can you cite any legal precedent that will support my contention with my neighbors??What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

xylene

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Shared wells

I share a well with five other people in my subdivision...the well-head is located on my property.

We all kick in a monthly stipend for maintenance, future repairs, etc. There is no written agreement between the parties. I have lived at this property for four years.

We recently had some repair work done that left my yard in disarray. It's work for which I have neither the resources or time to complete. My fellow well-mates say that it's not their problem and that I need to bear all the cost on my own.

Is this fair?? Do I have any legal recourse??

It seems to me that if these folks receive the benefit of almost free water, they should also have to share in ALL the costs associated with this benefit.

Am I correct in this assumption?? Can you cite any legal precedent that will support my contention with my neighbors??What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
You need to suck it up and end this 'informal arrangement' one way or another.

Hire a lawyer and see what your options are as the owner of the property the well sits on.

If you can permanently cut them off, do so.

If not you can at least force the adoption of a formal agreement.

By creating a stink they can't ignore. A lawyer will help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">