• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sharing costs on easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SandyKim

I am in BC, Canada. But as a starting point, I would be grateful for US law response which will point me in the right direction.

On my property, I share a drive with my neighbor. He owns the drive and grants an easement to me. The easement agreement states that we shall share equally all costs related to installing and maintaining the common driveway. He wants to significantly enhance the driveway, making it wider, resurface it, etc. I do not find anything wrong with the drive. He is quite rich compared to me. I feel he wants to increase the value of his property and stick me with half the cost. What does relevant law or precedence is there on this matter?

quincy

I am in BC, Canada. But as a starting point, I would be grateful for US law response which will point me in the right direction.

On my property, I share a drive with my neighbor. He owns the drive and grants an easement to me. The easement agreement states that we shall share equally all costs related to installing and maintaining the common driveway. He wants to significantly enhance the driveway, making it wider, resurface it, etc. I do not find anything wrong with the drive. He is quite rich compared to me. I feel he wants to increase the value of his property and stick me with half the cost. What does relevant law or precedence is there on this matter?
The best "starting point" for you would be to find a professional in BC, Canada, with whom you can discuss the easement, relevant law and precedence.

This is a US law forum that addresses US law questions only. What you learned here would not (necessarily or even likely) be applicable to you in Canada.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">