Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    dktiger501 is offline Junior Member

Shovleing snow on neighbors property

NJ

My neighbor is a problem and does not want me to shovel snow on his property. Since my driveway is at the property line, I have very little choice about this. I checked the boro and there is no ordanace against this, so do i have a problem with putting snow on his property?

DK
    JustAPal00 is offline Senior Member
    Just like leaves or anything else, you can't dump it on your neighbors property. Can you pile it on the other side of the drive, or behind it?
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dktiger501 View Post
    NJ

My neighbor is a problem and does not want me to shovel snow on his property. Since my driveway is at the property line, I have very little choice about this. I checked the boro and there is no ordanace against this, so do i have a problem with putting snow on his property?

DK
    are you shoveling the snow OFF his property, or piling the snow on his property?

just for clarification.
    Shoveling it on to his property. I do put 90% on my property, but when you are stuck between your car and his property, there is very little place else to put it when you have 18"

DK
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dktiger501 View Post
    Shoveling it on to his property. I do put 90% on my property, but when you are stuck between your car and his property, there is very little place else to put it when you have 18"

DK
    not to sound all smart ass, but if you can get TO the snow, you can walk it around to your property. even if you have to use something smaller then the shovel you are using. is it a pain? yes. but it needs to be done.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    DK if your neighbor objects you really shouldnt put snow from your property onto theirs , reason being if by some chance a very rapid spring melt were to cause snow melt from snow you piled onto neighbors can you see them suing you if home/ basement were damaged by flooding , yes its a stretch BUT think about it, your placing snow on someone elses property in theory when it melts contribute to flooding on others property BUT if you put the snow all on your own land and it melted and flooded another persons property then in court you could argue that your actions were reasonable and you did nothing to cause water to flood another persons property and its a act of nature. ( locate a snow blower to move snow several times if you must to keep it on your own property)
    drewguy is offline Member
    This is one of those great "legally you're wrong, but not morally . . .". I mean, really, he's complaining that you're putting some amount of snow on his property? Get a frickin' life neighbor. We have 3 feet of snow on the ground here and, sorry, you just gotta take a little bit of it everywhere.
    So the bottom line is that you should not do it. Other than the basement potential - ie this was in the front, away from the house, what is the consequences?

DK
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    having the cops called for trespass.

it is your snow. God gave it to you. Your neighbor does not want your snow. Give it to somebody else or keep it yourself but that neighbor does not want it.
    Interesting but I have a feeling in this situation the cops would not enforce it. It was a blizzard. But nice to know.

DK
    Badbrains is offline Member
    How about take all the snow and build a gigantic snow man on your front yard and wait to see if the neighbor complains about that too. Otherwise push it into the street or better yet in front of your neighbors car, haha.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Bad up in snowland many cities have ords that ban and permit ticketing of people who push snow on purpose out into city streets in order to clear driveways and sidewalks.
    Yes, our town does have an ordanance about putting snow in the street. But there is no ordanance saying anything about putting snow on a neighbors property. Since they had a couple of paragraphs about this, I would have thought they would have something there.

DK
    Badbrains is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ View Post
    Bad up in snowland many cities have ords that ban and permit ticketing of people who push snow on purpose out into city streets in order to clear driveways and sidewalks.
    I grew up in the north all my life and understand completely, i was just making humor on a funny situation.
    Well, since this guy is a jerk I know I will probably get a letter from his lawyer as that is his MO

DK
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast