• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shovleing snow on neighbors property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dktiger501

NJ

My neighbor is a problem and does not want me to shovel snow on his property. Since my driveway is at the property line, I have very little choice about this. I checked the boro and there is no ordanace against this, so do i have a problem with putting snow on his property?

DK

Isis1

NJ

My neighbor is a problem and does not want me to shovel snow on his property. Since my driveway is at the property line, I have very little choice about this. I checked the boro and there is no ordanace against this, so do i have a problem with putting snow on his property?

DK
are you shoveling the snow OFF his property, or piling the snow on his property?

just for clarification.

dktiger501

Shoveling it on to his property. I do put 90% on my property, but when you are stuck between your car and his property, there is very little place else to put it when you have 18"

DK

Isis1

Shoveling it on to his property. I do put 90% on my property, but when you are stuck between your car and his property, there is very little place else to put it when you have 18"

DK
not to sound all smart ass, but if you can get TO the snow, you can walk it around to your property. even if you have to use something smaller then the shovel you are using. is it a pain? yes. but it needs to be done.

FarmerJ

DK if your neighbor objects you really shouldnt put snow from your property onto theirs , reason being if by some chance a very rapid spring melt were to cause snow melt from snow you piled onto neighbors can you see them suing you if home/ basement were damaged by flooding , yes its a stretch BUT think about it, your placing snow on someone elses property in theory when it melts contribute to flooding on others property BUT if you put the snow all on your own land and it melted and flooded another persons property then in court you could argue that your actions were reasonable and you did nothing to cause water to flood another persons property and its a act of nature. ( locate a snow blower to move snow several times if you must to keep it on your own property)

drewguy

This is one of those great "legally you're wrong, but not morally . . .". I mean, really, he's complaining that you're putting some amount of snow on his property? Get a frickin' life neighbor. We have 3 feet of snow on the ground here and, sorry, you just gotta take a little bit of it everywhere.

dktiger501

So the bottom line is that you should not do it. Other than the basement potential - ie this was in the front, away from the house, what is the consequences?

DK

justalayman

having the cops called for trespass.

it is your snow. God gave it to you. Your neighbor does not want your snow. Give it to somebody else or keep it yourself but that neighbor does not want it.

dktiger501

Interesting but I have a feeling in this situation the cops would not enforce it. It was a blizzard. But nice to know.

DK

Badbrains

How about take all the snow and build a gigantic snow man on your front yard and wait to see if the neighbor complains about that too. Otherwise push it into the street or better yet in front of your neighbors car, haha.

FarmerJ

Bad up in snowland many cities have ords that ban and permit ticketing of people who push snow on purpose out into city streets in order to clear driveways and sidewalks.

dktiger501

Yes, our town does have an ordanance about putting snow in the street. But there is no ordanance saying anything about putting snow on a neighbors property. Since they had a couple of paragraphs about this, I would have thought they would have something there.

DK

Badbrains

Bad up in snowland many cities have ords that ban and permit ticketing of people who push snow on purpose out into city streets in order to clear driveways and sidewalks.
I grew up in the north all my life and understand completely, i was just making humor on a funny situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">