• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing over land from parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nana242

What is the name of your state?PA
I have a quick question, my mother in law owns 3 acres of land. Her house sits on less than half an acre. She would like to give my husband and I one acre to build a house on. She still owes money to her mortgage company.
Only about 40,000, the house and land are worth over 135,000. Do we just need to get the land surveyed and go to a lawyer to have a portian of it
signed over to us?

S

seniorjudge

nana242 said:
What is the name of your state?PA
I have a quick question, my mother in law owns 3 acres of land. Her house sits on less than half an acre. She would like to give my husband and I one acre to build a house on. She still owes money to her mortgage company.
Only about 40,000, the house and land are worth over 135,000. Do we just need to get the land surveyed and go to a lawyer to have a portian of it
signed over to us?
You will need a partial release of the mortgage for the part you have surveyed that she wants to sell you. Then the lawyer you hire to examine the title commitment/binder you get from the title company will write the deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">