• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Snow Plowing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DEDEGE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Can someone please tell me what the law is for snow plowing in New York 10541. My neighbor across the street from me pushes his snow from his driveway across the street and into my white pine trees breaking the lower branches of the trees. I have ask him nicely more than a dozen times to stop, but the next snow fall they do it again. I have also called the local police department who sent an officer out only to be told they don't have time for this.....where do I go from here.

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Can someone please tell me what the law is for snow plowing in New York 10541. My neighbor across the street from me pushes his snow from his driveway across the street and into my white pine trees breaking the lower branches of the trees. I have ask him nicely more than a dozen times to stop, but the next snow fall they do it again. I have also called the local police department who sent an officer out only to be told they don't have time for this.....where do I go from here.
Talk to a real estate attorney about it. Your issues may include trespass and property damage. There are questions that the attorney will have to review: Are the trees on your property or in the road easement? Is the snow being dumped on your property or in the snow easement? Is the neighbor doing it or hiring somebody to do it?

What is your ultimate goal - getting paid or getting them to stop?

TD

OHRoadwarrior

Put up a small white fence in front of the pines. He then must destroy your fence to put the snow there. You can remove the fence in spring and reinstall for winter.

FarmerJ

Your own city / county government center may have the answer, I got lucky even though this is a rural county with about 22,000 residents in the towns and townships there is a ordinance here that not only says that one cannot push snow into public roads from private property but one cannot push snow from ones own property onto anothers with out consent ( since it can create a flood problems later ) SO when one neighbor routinely pushed snow from her driveway all the way across the township road onto my property I complained and this stopped ( she also used a flower watering can and spread used motor oil on the road to keep the dust down too ( illegal in my state ) and stopped after the county contacted her. So the answer may already be on the books in your city / county govt center. ( other wise maybe looking into your state/ city /county illegal dumping laws to see if they apply ( if they are vague enough that they do not exclude snow then I would guess that they too would apply )

Red4.6

I had this SAME PROBLEM!
My neighbor who plows part time would plow his entire driveway (fits at least 10 cars) onto my side yard, which has two large pines.
The snow piles at times would be 5' tall and many feet across. As the snow melted, my yard would be soaked for a good week or more, which I was afraid would bring down my trees.
I contacted the township and they referred me to zoning. Zoning came out and said that there was no way he was allowed to do that.
Any snow that falls on your property should remain on your property, just as you can't push it into the street.
They said to tell him, and if he continues, to call the police. That was 2-3 yrs ago and he never did it again. :)

quincy

I had this SAME PROBLEM!
My neighbor who plows part time would plow his entire driveway (fits at least 10 cars) onto my side yard, which has two large pines.
The snow piles at times would be 5' tall and many feet across. As the snow melted, my yard would be soaked for a good week or more, which I was afraid would bring down my trees.
I contacted the township and they referred me to zoning. Zoning came out and said that there was no way he was allowed to do that.
Any snow that falls on your property should remain on your property, just as you can't push it into the street.
They said to tell him, and if he continues, to call the police. That was 2-3 yrs ago and he never did it again. :)
Please make note of the dates the threads are created, Red4.6. This thread is from February.

FA's forum prefers that older threads are added onto by the original creator of the thread only. Any advice on snow removal offered now, in the spring, is unlikely to be of any benefit to DEDEGE until next year. His snow has melted.

Also, unless you know you are in the same area of New York that DEDEGE is, the ordinances are likely to be different.

Thank you in advance for not reviving old threads in the future.

FarmerJ

Quincy It started snowing last night while I was at work , just after midnight, Huge fat snow flakes LOL and made it post card pretty again, LOL.

quincy

Quincy It started snowing last night while I was at work , just after midnight, Huge fat snow flakes LOL and made it post card pretty again, LOL.
It figures that someone from Snowland would check in with a snow update. :p ;) :)

FarmerJ

And it did it again , it was snowing them big fat flakes when I left for work but it stopped by the time I arrived, Oh well It doesn't last now that we are moving into snownado season

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">