• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed bumps/private road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MWE

What is the name of your state? California.
One of the homeowners on a private road shared by four families, is intending to put in speed bumps because he wants everyone to go no faster than 10 MPH. Can I stop this? Is it even legal for him to do this?

MWE

Each property owner owns the portion to the middle of the road that borders their property. There are lots on either side, seven total, and the road is about a half mile long. The guy wants to put speed bumps on the portion in front of his property. But, we have to go by it on the way out since we live at the end of the road and it is a dead end road.

PghREA

Do you have a private road maintenance agreement? If so, I would think that all parties involved would need to agree upon the addition of the speed bumps.

MWE

No agreements. I do all of the maintenance. And, removing snow in the winter will be quite a challenge with speed bumps.

ralph31

Around the speed bumps

The traffic on the road must be sparse if it is dead end and only four families. If title goes to the middle of the road, then will the neighbor across from the one who desires a speed bump go along?

I personally have only experienced single speed bumps that are some distance from one another. I would think several speed bumps in a row in front of one house would be a safety hazard. Then the speed bumps I have seen have a warning sign some distance in front of them.

Rather than an expensive court and legal fight the three neighbors without speed bumps could drive around the 1/2 speed bump in front of the dippy neighbor. A 1/2 speed bump with no warning sign might be considered a safety hazard by the authorities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">