• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

squatters rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

comphome

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have property in Saratoga Co. Both my neighbor and I have owned adjacent lots for almost 20 years. My driveway cuts across a small corner of his property. It was that way prior to either of our purchases. Until last fall, he never said a word. Suddenly he did a survey and wants me to move my driveway 10 feet. It's dirt, it's lake community property, the roads are privately owned and my driveway sits between his property and a stream that cuts through my property. My driveway is located to the north of the this waterway.

It is my understanding that if he doesn't tell me once a year I cannot use his land, that after 7 years he has no claim to do so. It will be costly and possibly not feasible because of the stream and the property being in the Adirondack Park for me to move my driveway to make him happy. What should I do?

HuAi

Slow and expensive way: file a claim against your neighbor suing for adverse posession - NY law requires 10 years of use (payment of taxes not a requirement)

Quick and cheap way: Offer him some money as yearly rent for permission or a permanent easement to use HIS land for ingress/egress.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">