• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stopping the trespasser

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dakotatruck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? i live in arizona, 12 years ago i bought 2 acres. there was a 20 ft. easement along the north end of our property but i let the neighbor have 25 ft. because he had heavy equipment. it was recorded that way.he sold his house and we had a problem with the new owner over the shared well. during that time we found that he was crossing over the easement and on to our land because it was easier that way. we never gave him that right and we want him to stop. i sent a certified letter telling him to stop but was ignored. can i block him from trespassing on our land with rocks along the corner he cuts across. thanks for any help you can give me.

justalayman

just to be sure: the area you are concerned with is not part of the easement, right?

If so, block away. It's your land. I don't know how long this guy has been crossing your land but if it has been over 10 years, he might have a claim for a prescriptive easement.

154NH773

can i block him from trespassing on our land with rocks along the corner he cuts across.
I agree; just make sure the easement grant to the original grantee for crossing that portion does not extend to the new owner.
but i let the neighbor have 25 ft. because he had heavy equipment. it was recorded that way.
Have a lawyer review the language to make sure you are in the right, then place your stones and a sign barring trespass. If he moves the stones, call the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">