• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storing neighbor's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hazelnut1968

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

One of my neighbors is down on his luck. He was renting the house next door and the story he told me was that the owner stopped paying the taxes (this was backed up by a legal document he showed me), the mortgage, et al.

He has been evicted and I verbally agreed over the weekend to store his property for "a few days." However, I went next door today and saw the owner - and the tenants to whom he sublet some of the rooms.

1 - the owner says he stopped paying the rent;
2 - the sub-tenants say that my neighbor told the owner that they were not paying their share of the rent;
3 - he did not let his sub-tenants know that this was happening (I knew about it because he asked me for help several weeks ago - the help I offered was not financial), forcing them to scramble to leave the house today as the locks were being changed.

In light of the above, I am reconsidering my offer to my neighbor, given we only have a verbal agreement. I am considering making the agreement more formal (I know I can do that), but can I insist that all of his stuff be moved out of my garage within 1 week? And, if he does not remove his items by that time, what is my recourse?

Hazelnut1968

They were not merely "just changed," the Sheriff was out there and the notice posted lawfully upon his door; (that is what drew me to go next door; I was being nosy) I left that out because that had no direct bearing upon my situation, I wanted my post to be as short as possible without extraneous information. My sole focus is on his property filling up my garage.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

Ok so ... if you want to make a forma agreement, you need to write it down, have it signed.

if you want to give him a week, then write it down, get it signed.

As far as "laws" ...as long as its written down, and signed and in good faith, then its good.

drewguy

The bottom line is you have no obligation to keep his stuff as long as he wants. You did him a favor. Now put some limits on it -- tell him he needs to move it in one week (or two) or you'll throw it out. Why formalize it? He has no claims now, but some written agreement could increase your obligations.

Banned_Princess

The problem with that is that sometimes "good faith" is not exactly congruent with the law and is therefore unenforceable; that's why I posted here for some advice. :)
In good faith means, for example, you are not taking advantage if the situation. 300 a day for example,

If you get the plan in writing, then you cannot successfully be accused of destruction or theft of property. you might further protect yourself by getting an address if you have to certify mail that you are getting rid of the stuff by...

really simple, "Sir (madam) I will hold your property in my garadge for one week. If you do not retreve your property in that time, I will be getting rid of your stuff, I am not a storage company. this is a favor."

done and done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">