• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subdivision Bylaws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgburkhart

What is the name of your state? PA

My question is around the penalty for breaking a subdivision bylaw. RE: Fences

Those with dogs in my neighborhood use electric fences. They have proven, in my opinion, to be ineffective. I constantly have other people's dogs on my property. I also have children running in my backyard at all times.

Most recently, I was "babysitting" a dog which was tethered to a post in my yard. My neighbor's dog came onto my property and was killed by the dog I was watching. The dog warden came to my house and determined I was not at fault. However, I am still being harrassed by the neighbor.

I want a fence to keep other people's dogs off my property but the subdivion bylaws prohibit one. What is the penalty for putting one up anyway?

Also, our neighbor asked us to "take responsibitly" for the death of her dog. Since we were responsible and kept the dog we were watching on our property we are not reimbursing her for her dog. She asked us for our homeowners insurance which we did not give. She said she would have to persue this another way. Can she get our ins. info? Are we at all responsible to reimburse her?

Last edited:

ShyCat

I want a fence to keep other people's dogs off my property but the subdivion bylaws prohibit one. What is the penalty for putting one up anyway?
There's no way for any of us to know that. The rules and penalties for breaking the rules are strictly a matter of (a) the subdivision's CC&Rs and (b) local zoning.

Can she get our ins. info?
Only if you provide it. I suppose nothing stops her from calling around and trying to file a claim with different insurance companies based on your name and address.

Are we at all responsible to reimburse her?
No. Her dog was trespassing on your property. It would be different if the dog you were responsible for trespassed on to her property and attacked/killed her dog.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I hope you took your dog to the vet for a checkup. You could then send HER the bills. (I know it's not "your" dog, but you can see what I'm getting at)

nextwife

I have owned dogs all my like, And neighbor dogs have come in our yard and "visited" our dogs, but not one was ever inclined to even attempt to harm another dog. We've also been to many dog parks.

Something is seriously wrong with having an animal around that has been so poorly socialized that it's first reaction upon encountering another dog is to kill it. This is an animal that has been handled irresponsibly as to how it's been raised and socialized. People have no business having a dog around f they are going to fail to do the basics in training them.

Last edited:

tgburkhart

You are partially correct. The dog is only a year and came from a rescue facility. It is EXTREMELY friendly towards people and children but is dog aggressive. It is partly the nature of the breed and partially poor socialization. The dog is also 85 pounds. The dog that trespassed was a 7 month old dauchsand weighing about 5 pounds. The dog in our care picked the dog up which punctured its lungs and crushed it's insides. The neighbor's 7 year old daughter pulled the dog out of the dog I was caring for's mouth. Our dog released it immediately. The dog is is very submissive to people.

However, what difference does any of that make? Just curious to your point. Thanks :)

I have owned dogs all my like, And neighbor dogs have come in our yard and "visited" our dogs, but not one was ever inclined to even attempt to harm another dog. We've also been to many dog parks.

Something is seriously wrong with having an animal around that has been so poorly socialized that it's first reaction upon encountering another dog is to kill it. This is an animal that has been handled irresponsibly as to how it's been raised and socialized. People have no business having a dog around f they are going to fail to do the basics in training them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">