• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Survey Accuracy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K_IN_CALIFORNIA

What is the name of your state? california

My neighbor recently hired a surveyor to mark his propery line, which borders mine. The surveyor marked a line which I think is off by 4 - 8 feet. Since my neighbor plans to put in a (large) fence, this has become an issue.

My question is this: how accurate are surveys? If 5 typical surveyors surveyed the same property, how much would their surveys differ? By inches, or by feet? If it's common for different surveyors to come up with surveys that differ by 2 - 6 feet, I will consider getting my own surveyor to survey the line. If the majority of surveys agree within inches, I won't bother with it.

Thanks.

K

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

K_IN_CALIFORNIA said:
What is the name of your state? california

My neighbor recently hired a surveyor to mark his propery line, which borders mine. The surveyor marked a line which I think is off by 4 - 8 feet. Since my neighbor plans to put a (large) fence in, this has become an issue.

My question is this: how accurate are surveys? If 5 typical surveyors surveyed the same property, how much would their surveys differ? By inches, by feet? If it's common for different surveyors to come us with surveys that differ by 2 - 6 feet, I will consider getting my own surveyor to survey the line. If the majority of surveys agree within inches, I won't bother with it.

Thanks.

K

My response:

Was there a "legal" question in there somewhere?

IAAL

K_IN_CALIFORNIA

Yes

Yes -- and I'll put it in simpler terms, so you'll understand it -- if you're an attorney, and your opposition hires a surveyor to mark a property line in a property dispute, would you trust his surveyor? Or would you hire your own surveyor? And if you would hire your own surveyor, why would you do that?

K

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

K_IN_CALIFORNIA said:
Yes -- and I'll put it in simpler terms, so you'll understand it -- if you're an attorney, and your opposition hires a surveyor to mark a property line in a property dispute, would you trust his surveyor? Or would you hire your own surveyor? And if you would hire your own surveyor, why would you do that?

K

My response:

You're not asking any "legal" questions. "Trust" has nothing to do with a statute or case law. I think you're on the wrong site. You want FreeSurveyingAdvice.com

IAAL

John Se

You could make a check on you own

If yo know your lot dimension, just tape it out and see if you come close, say within a foot they survey the neighbor did is probably good, you can get you lot dimensions from your subdivision plat, recorded at you county.

K_IN_CALIFORNIA

Thanks

Thanks, John, I appreciate the answer. Some of the other "advisors" on this site were oddly aggressive -- pretending they didn't understand my question, or arguing semantics as if they were high school freshmen. It was really weird, and more than a little sad.

Chris

efflandt

Were you furnished with a survey when you bought your home? If so, it likely has measurements of where structures were in relation to lot lines, so you could approximate it by taping it out. Just realize that a compass shows magnetic, north which is not necessarily true north.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">