• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surveyor Right of Entry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MQuick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I am in Kern County. There is a large piece of property behind me which I believe is being broken down into smaller pieces for development. Occasionally surveyors have used my driveway and driven through my property to access the land behind me.

I understand that surveyors have right of entry, but is that only to the land which they are surveying or does that apply to going through someone else's property to access the land they are surveying? I am also worried that my silence on the issue will mean access through my property to any potential homes which may be built in the future.

MQuick

The property behind me also runs along the main road, and there is an entrance there, though it is steep and mainly used by dirt bikes, though a car could get up it. The corner they seem to be interested in butts up against my lot and I can see where it would be much more convenient to access it through my property. My lot is quite a bit less than an acre; they basically come up my driveway and go through my lot to the back of it. There is no gate. There is a utility easement along the back border of my property though; they are up by the utility pole at the moment.

Isn't 7:30 on a Saturday evening a bit of a strange time for someone to just show up and whip out surveying equipment?

I do have a chain that runs across my driveway that I could put up, but utilities might need access from time to time. I'm not sure what the legality would be of me just starting to use the chain.

Thank you so much for responding.

154NH773

If there is no easement across your land, then you have no obligation to allow anyone access. Did you do a title search of your property when you purchased it? You could do one to make sure, but you can also block the driveway with the chain and see if anyone makes a claim for access.

There may be some law or regulation that allows a surveyor to cross your property in order to access previously placed markers or survey points, but I doubt it. They could always traverse around your property from distance points. Someone with knowledge of CA law will have to advise you on that.

drewguy

There may be some law or regulation that allows a surveyor to cross your property in order to access previously placed markers or survey points, but I doubt it. They could always traverse around your property from distance points. Someone with knowledge of CA law will have to advise you on that.
There apparently is. If you google surveyor right of entry california you'll find descriptions. Access doesn't mean parking however, and I'm pretty sure they'll be held to a reasonableness standard--in other words, they can't drive an 18 wheeler across your property, when they can walk it instead.

Country Living

Have you considered putting up a sign at the front of your drive that states "Surveyor entrance to (insert description) property ======>"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">