• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there hope anywhere?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ed Hughes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
I am thinking of buying a property that is in bankruptcy. Originally the property was 10 acres with a large house on it. At some point the lot was split and five acres were sold, not the five acres with the house on it. I had it surveyed and found out the new property line runs about two feet into the house. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to cut 2 feet off the house or worse tear the house down. The house is 9000 sq.' Thanks

drewguy

Or start negotiating with the owner of the other 5 acres to buy a few square feet of land. If he's a jerk, back out of the plan. On the other hand, he may be happy for a few thousand $$.

I would not buy the property with the hope of establishing adverse possession or something like that. Too much risk to take on.

Ed Hughes

Thanks. I am a contractor so taking a couple of feet off the house would not be a huge deal. I was just hoping there was another way. Thanks I will consider all replies.

drewguy

Thanks. I am a contractor so taking a couple of feet off the house would not be a huge deal. I was just hoping there was another way. Thanks I will consider all replies.
Well, if it's not a big deal, then that changes things. It will cost you--the question is whether it will cost you in paying the potential neighbor for a few feet of land (or a land swap?) or paying the cost of cutting off part of the house. Since your a contractor you can at least figure out how much that will cost. Then evaluate whether the bankruptcy price makes the overall price attractive.

You could always make the property less attractive to others by mentioning this problem to other bidders ;)

Ed Hughes

Thanks again. If I decide totalk to the neighbor about either selling a strip of property or trading a section, should I hire an attorney to do the negotiation?

Cedrus

Oh yes, hire an attorney. Also, don't forget about setbacks if you decide to cut off a portion of your house. It might mean an additional 10 or 20 feet from neighbor's property line.

drewguy

I would not hire the attorney for that until you know there's a realistic possibility of making a deal. Figure out how much you need (note setback points mentioned above), figure out what land prices are like per square foot, and come up with some proposals (say you need 500 square feet, and land goes for $10/sq. foot around there). I would also consider a "land swap" where you give the neighbor some of your five acres in exchange for the land he's giving you.

You will definitely want a lawyer to draft up the deed and record the changes. But I don't think you need one for preliminary negotiations. In fact, it might make the neighbor scared, whereas if you just talk "person to person" he won't think you're trying to snooker him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">