• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a law against light trespass in Ohio?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U2ROX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I live in Ohio, and I have a neighbor who just moved in next door. She has a porch light which is directly across from my bedroom, and she leaves it on at night. This light is very bright and shines directly into my bedroom and my daughter's bedroom making it impossible to sleep. Isn't there some law against her having a light which clearly intrudes into another person's home like this? She could easily hang something up on her porch so that it would prevent the light from shining into my house, but it would do no good for me to ask her to do this because she has been confrontational with me since the day she moved in for no reason. There have been a lot of people who have moved in and out of this apartment in the time I have lived here, and this has been a problem I have had with almost every person who has lived there. I have considered calling the police and having them ask her to do something about this, but I really don't want to bother them with this, however, if there is some kind of law against this I would like to know, because if there is, then if I did call them they could tell her it is against the law and that she would have to do something about it.

FarmerJ

Your free to call your city offices and ask them if they have any city ords that address residential outdoor lighting , Same with your county if your city says no , check with your county zoning desk. If nothing then not much you can do about it .

TigerD

This is easy. There is that great new invention that easily solves issues like this. If fact, you might even find it in Walmart now.

Shades. Blackout curtains - in some area of the country.

They work like a charm.

DC

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I live in Ohio, and I have a neighbor who just moved in next door. She has a porch light which is directly across from my bedroom, and she leaves it on at night. This light is very bright and shines directly into my bedroom and my daughter's bedroom making it impossible to sleep. Isn't there some law against her having a light which clearly intrudes into another person's home like this? She could easily hang something up on her porch so that it would prevent the light from shining into my house, but it would do no good for me to ask her to do this because she has been confrontational with me since the day she moved in for no reason. There have been a lot of people who have moved in and out of this apartment in the time I have lived here, and this has been a problem I have had with almost every person who has lived there. I have considered calling the police and having them ask her to do something about this, but I really don't want to bother them with this, however, if there is some kind of law against this I would like to know, because if there is, then if I did call them they could tell her it is against the law and that she would have to do something about it.
You could easily hang drapes or blinds to prevent light from coming in. Why haven't you?

OHRoadwarrior

Though several states have considered passing laws against light trespassing, they determined it would require a laser speed device capable of measuring 186,282 miles per second, for enforcement. The size of the laser gun has been determined to be cost prohibitive.

racer72

I knew someone with the same problem. He used a mirror placed at an angle to reflect the light back into the offender's window. Worked like a charm.

You Are Guilty

That reminds me, my jerk neighbor has this giant mirror they have aimed at my house which is very bright and shines directly into my bedroom, making it impossible to sleep. Is there some law against mirrors?

Incidentally, I have also never seen their reflection in this mirror, so I am fairly confident that my neighbor is, in fact, a vampire. Is that illegal as well?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That reminds me, my jerk neighbor has this giant mirror they have aimed at my house which is very bright and shines directly into my bedroom, making it impossible to sleep. Is there some law against mirrors?

Incidentally, I have also never seen their reflection in this mirror, so I am fairly confident that my neighbor is, in fact, a vampire. Is that illegal as well?
If he sparkles in daylight, then yes, he is a vampire. Is his last name Cullen by any chance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">