• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

timber trespass

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurenbnelson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My neighbor claims that when I put in a new wall on my property (by several feet) I severed underground roots, thereby damaging his trees. Since I did nothing on his land, can this be considered a timber trespass? If not, does he have another cause of action? If so, what would be the measure of damages, given that I did not act with any intent to damage his trees?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My neighbor claims that when I put in a new wall on my property (by several feet) I severed underground roots, thereby damaging his trees. Since I did nothing on his land, can this be considered a timber trespass? If not, does he have another cause of action? If so, what would be the measure of damages, given that I did not act with any intent to damage his trees?
**A: 2 issues: 1) did you do damage to any of his trees and if so 2) did you know or should have known that such fence construction may have caused damage to the trees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">