• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Town Tree Trimming

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigdanb39

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

We have a large maple tree on our property line which borders the public street. A recent survey shows the tree trunk is partially on town land, but mostly on our land. Over the past 20 years the town electric crews have continuously cut back the limbs that grew over the street and near the electric lines. That's fine, I understand that's their right, and doing so protects the public from electrical outages, etc.

Here's the problem- the pruning over the past 5 years (since they installed high-power electric lines) has been so severe that the tree is now diseased and weakening. Many of the areas where the "pruning" was done are now rotted and hollow. There's also sawdust coming out of these areas, most likely from insects.

I have requested that the town remove this tree, but so far they have refused to do so (I'm working my way up the chain). It's my contention that the tree would be healthy if it had not been pruned so severely. Since the town was responsible for the pruning then I think the town should be responsible for it's removal now that it's in an unsafe condition.

Do I have a leg to stand on or should I cut my losses and pay for a professional to have the tree removed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">