• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree fallen into neighbor's yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhanson79

I live in Wisconsin, and have a question regarding a tree from my yard that was blown down during a severe storm and fell into my neighbor's yard.

The tree fell, without any property damage to either my neighbor or to my own property, however the downed tree has left quite a mess in the neigbor's yard.

Is there any way that the neghbor can hold me liable for cleaning up the debris?

Also, the neighbor is wanting to dump the whole issue on me, and wants me to pay for cleanup; I am nervous that if I were to attempt to help cleanup that the neighbor will turn around and stick it to me if it causes any further damage to her grass in attempts to clean up the mess (such as ruts in the grass or damage to landscape from moving branches)

What should I do?

Thanks
R. Hanson

rhanson79

His yard, his problem. you are not liable at all.

but maybe you can grab a chainsaw and help him out, you know neighborly like.
thank you for the response; Very much appreciated :)

I was completely up for helping clean it all up too, just the immediate finger pointing form the neighbor put me off to even feeling comfortable stepping over the property line.

Banned_Princess

Well don't worry, its not your fault, and its not your problem, unless you knew the tree was dead or dieing, and didn't take care of it.

plus to successfully sue you, he would need to prove you did know...

but trees fall, neighbors get over themselves, life goes on.

Good day!

JustAPal00

I agree with the above post. As long as it was a healthy tree or you believed it to be, it's their problem. It's considered an act of god. Offer to help, but you're not liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">