• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree fell on my garage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jerry Hardee9

My backyard neighbor's dead tree fell on my garage during a recent storm. Is he liable for the damage to my property. Just found this site and being elderly, I have little computer skills so I apologize if this topic has been discussed previously. Would appreciate a reply.
Jer

Banned_Princess

My backyard neighbor's dead tree fell on my garage during a recent storm. Is he liable for the damage to my property. Just found this site and being elderly, I have little computer skills so I apologize if this topic has been discussed previously. Would appreciate a reply.
Jer
Ok, Jer, the neighbor is not responsible for the damage his tree caused in falling during a rainstorm.

Who said it was dead, and how do you know they knew that, and how can you prove that they knew the tree was dead and was likely to fall and damage something.???

Please call it in to your homeowners insurance, they should fix it all up.

FlyingRon

Actually, if the tree was known to be dead, the neighbor is negligent in not taking care of it. It it were live, you'd be out of luck. Live trees falling over are acts of God.

Still your best course of action is with YOUR homeowner's insurance. They'll figure out how to proceed against the neighbor if he's at fault.

Jerry Hardee9

The tree was an oak with leaves. All the leaves and bark fell off. Small limbs fell for a couple of years. I found the owner's name and address in county records and sent a Certified letter a couple of years ago complaining about the tree and my feelings that it would fall on my garage but got no response. The tenant says he rents through a real estate company and doesn't know the owner. He has many valid concerns with electrical and plumbing problems with the house and also gets no response. "Slum landlord" is his feelings.

FlyingRon

Well you can let your insurance handle it or you can sue the guy. It sounds like he's responsible it's just a matter of how much effort you want to exert filing suit against him.

Jerry Hardee9

I don't have homeowners insurance. I live in a hurricane prone area a few miles inland from the ocean. My insurance would be more a month than my Soc. Sec. check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">