• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree fell in our yard.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Converse

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
A tree on our neighbor's property was leaning over our property line and had increased it's lean significantly this year. We informed them of our concern but their arbborist said the tree would not fall even though it was cracked. I was going to cut the section over my yard which would have left a 12 ft trunk left on their property and informed them of my intentions. They agreed to cut the whole tree and we would split the cost. However, they failed to get this done in a timely manner and this morning I awoke to a 60" tree across my back yard. A chain link fence was damaged but I am not sure if my wooden privacy fence had any damage.
They want me to pay half the clean up. I thought since it was their tree and they were told of the danger by us that they would be responsible not only for the tree clean up but also any property damage.
Are they responsible for the clean up and damage?

JETX

Converse said:
Are they responsible for the clean up and damage?
If the neighbor knew that the tree was a hazard (sounds like they did) and didn't do anything to mitigate the potential for damage, then they are liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">