• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree Limb dangling still attached

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

todd3574

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Simple question, the storm cracked a rather large limb to the point it's dangling at 90 degrees still attached to the tree. A few branches are touching my roof but no visible damage. Who is responsible to have the dangerous limb removed? me or the tree owner in which the limb is still attached but broken. This will be an out of pocket expense of $500 and would like some advice. BTW the neighbor said they will check with their homeowner insurance, chances are they'll say it's not their responsibility but i believe from a legal perspective that the limb is still their property until the limb is detached. Thank you

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Simple question, the storm cracked a rather large limb to the point it's dangling at 90 degrees still attached to the tree. A few branches are touching my roof but no visible damage. Who is responsible to have the dangerous limb removed? me or the tree owner in which the limb is still attached but broken. This will be an out of pocket expense of $500 and would like some advice. BTW the neighbor said they will check with their homeowner insurance, chances are they'll say it's not their responsibility but i believe from a legal perspective that the limb is still their property until the limb is detached. Thank you
**A: for the most part you are correct. CHeck with your own insurance company as you need to protect your propety and mitigate any damage.

todd3574

**A: for the most part you are correct. CHeck with your own insurance company as you need to protect your propety and mitigate any damage.
Agreed, I have a call to the tree guy, there's overwhelmed with calls and will get there ASAP, My insurance feels the same way, there's a fine line but he said that we should just split the cost. Chances are there Insurance Company will say that It's not there problem but a court of law might feel differently with pictures showing the limb still attached to their tree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">