• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree limbs over neighbor's garage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilcrow

What is the name of your state?

I live in Texas.

Is it my responsibility to pay to trim my tree's limbs that hang over my neighbor's garage and diveway?

Last edited:

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state?

I live in Texas.

Is it my responsibility to pay to trim my tree's limbs that hang over my neighbor's garage and diveway?
Legally? No.

That's the general rule. You may want to see if there are any local ordinances that change that general rule, and shift the responsibility to you.

lilcrow

Thanks for your reply.

Where would I find this written?
I would like to present this to my presumptuous neighbor.

seniorjudge

Thanks for your reply.

Where would I find this written?
I would like to present this to my presumptuous neighbor.
And if your limbs fall on your presumptuous neighbor's garage, then he may present you with a huge bill.

Bottom line answer: YOU find someone to trim your limbs and stand there with the neighbor while you both watch. It could save you a lot of time and trouble.

154NH773

As stated by others, the local laws may provide otherwise, but you should also check with your insurance company.
In most cases, as I've been advised by my insurance, you would be liable for any damage done by your tree to your neignbors property.

You are not required to remove any limbs that extend over your neighbor's property, but your neighbor may remove them if he wants.

If you pay to remove them, you will probably be liable if there is a mishap. Why not tell you neighbor to pay to remove them, and his contractor would then be responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">