• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trees Becoming Dangerous

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeSD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Washington

I'm sure the answer is going to be "See an attorney" but I'll ask the question anyway.

Nighbors planted 3 pine tress about 30 years ago. The current neighbors are not the original homeowners.

These trees were planted on their side of the property line, about 3 feet from the property boundary.

These trees were planted on a small rise (about 4' feet) so the roots can't extened in one direction (i.e. there isn't much support on the side facing their house). Over the years the trees grew and began to tilt toward our house. These trees are now about 50' high (or higher) and about 20" at the base. The center of gravity is moving toward our house and it's just a matter of time till they fall. A good wind might be all it will take.

Cutting everythng that extends over the line, might ordinarily be the option but cutting will damage (or even kill) the tree. About 3/4ths the way up the tree, the trunk is actually now on our side.

1) Is there any way to force the homeowner to remove the tree?
2) Can they be made liable (by advance warning), if the tree falls onto our house?

MikeSD

First, have you discussed tree removal with your neighbors?
The answer to your question has no bearning on the questions I asked. Knowing the answer to your question doesn't change the answer to the question I asked.

But yes, we have discussed this with the neighbors and they won't remove them.

csi7

If you have pictures over the years of the trees and their growth, make a copy of the pictures.
Then have a few tree service companies provide a free estimate in writing for the cost to have the trees removed, if the trees can not be trimmed back safely.
Submit this to the neighbors in writing with a return receipt signature letter along with the date you talked to them in person and their response.
By the way, it does make a huge difference that you did try to talk to them in person first.

154NH773

I think I'll disagree with everybody.
I believe the first thing you should do is have a qualified arborist give you a written evaluation of the condition of the trees and the possibility of them falling or otherwise doing damage to your property.
If the evaluation shows there is some danger to your property, then notify your neighbor of that evaluation. You might want to use a lawyer to make the notification to ensure it is legally done.
I don't believe you can make your neighbor act on that notification, but if the damage predicted ever came to pass, your neighbor would probably be found liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">