• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trees palnted as "spite fence"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jndgr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

We built our house in 1997 and postioned it for the view of the hills of the neighboring town as well as developing an open floor plan with 4 windows and a pallidium window to be able to overlook the view from our kitchen, great room and dining room.
Our neighbors became upset with us (and knowing that we built our house for this purpose) planted approximately 30 trees a foot and a half from our property line. These trees run the width of this side of the house to the street. They have also just planted more to finish the length of the side of the property. I may add that these trees (I dont know the name) but will grow up to 40 feet high (the backyard neighbor is enjoying those). Needless to say our view is gone. Do we have any recourse for their action as a spite fence or anything? I also want to state that there is drainage pipes along the side that these trees have been planted. These pipes are about 3 feet deep and were put in by the developer because of poor drainage:mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Check with the city about code requirements relating to the situation.
Other than that, you have no recourse.

jndgr

I checked with the town clerks office and the said that there is no law but didn't know if it could be a civil case?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I checked with the town clerks office and the said that there is no law but didn't know if it could be a civil case?
For what? I know that's what you're asking...but it just seems like a strange question. People are allowed to do what they wish with their property, so long as it conforms to the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">