• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trees rocking the foundation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tree hugger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I have 2 willow trees in my back yard that I would like to cut down since learning the roots are clearly going under my foundation. After looking at the trees and the property line, one of them is actually on my neighbors property. I have contacted them about the situation and they agreed the tree is a nuiesence to them as well and said they'd come by to take a look.
After several calls and missed meetings, we've not been able to connect. I'd like to know if I can cut the trees down without getting "permission" since they are causing damage to my property. thanks

NC Aggie

I have 2 willow trees in my back yard that I would like to cut down since learning the roots are clearly going under my foundation. After looking at the trees and the property line, one of them is actually on my neighbors property. I have contacted them about the situation and they agreed the tree is a nuiesence to them as well and said they'd come by to take a look.
After several calls and missed meetings, we've not been able to connect. I'd like to know if I can cut the trees down without getting "permission" since they are causing damage to my property. thanks
Is the trunk of the tree on your neigbhor's property entirely? And what kind of setback is your home from the property line?

HomeGuru

**A: you cannot cut down the neighbors tree. Contact your insurance agent for help.

csi7

Take pictures, date and time-stamp them.
Get a free assessment done by tree firm.
Provide your neighbor with this information through return receipt certified mail, and mention all the options available.
Do Not Cut The Tree Down.

OHRoadwarrior

I don't see the trees need to be taken down with certainty. Have a professional evaluation to see if the roots near the foundation can be cut and removed.

derwith

I don't see the trees need to be taken down with certainty. Have a professional evaluation to see if the roots near the foundation can be cut and removed.
A willow tree can be started by sticking a small branch into the ground. In 10-20 years you will have a willow tree with a trunk width of around 3 feet. There is as much of any tree under the ground as there is above the ground. Cut that thing down. It will only cause big problems in the future.

OHRoadwarrior

A willow tree can be started by sticking a small branch into the ground. In 10-20 years you will have a willow tree with a trunk width of around 3 feet. There is as much of any tree under the ground as there is above the ground. Cut that thing down. It will only cause big problems in the future.
OP does not currently have the right to cut down his neighbors tree. He should be legally allowed to trim the roots, if it does not kill the tree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">