• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trespassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gracie101

N.Y. I own the last house on a narrow dead end street. over the years everyone sped down to the end of the block to pull in my double driveway to make their u-turn. They have killed the tree in front of my house from banging into it so many times, trying to make a u-turn. I have walked out of my front door into my circular drive and almost been run over by people speeding thru it to make a u-turn. I have been sitting on the floor in my driveway doing gardening and felt the heat of a car exhaust on my legs cause someone was backing into my driveway trying to make a u turn and didnt see me.I almost killed the 2 little girls down the block more than once cause I came home and pulled into my circular drive and they were sitting there on the floor hiding and playing. I've had many fights with my neighbors over this and started pulling in their driveways to get the message across to them and it finally stopped. Now a new young couple moved in next door into a tiny little bungalow and its started again. they have no room to move their cars so they are constantly in my driveway. I hear their car coming down the block actually picking up speed to quickly pull into my drive. Yesterday I walked across my property into my drive just at the exact moment someone was pulling into my drive to make a u turn and I actually touched their car in an instinctive attempt to stop it from hitting me. they apologized but I could've been hit, What do I do about this? Is my driveway private property and are they trespassing ? I dont want to put a fence up across my frontage.How do I handle this before I get run over on my own property.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state New York

Last edited:

Alex23

Lots of people don't want others to use their driveways as a turnaround. It's an annoyance, especially on hillsides where the parking might be on a deck above a house. The most attractive or empty spaces automatically get used for turnaround, irritating the owner of those spaces the most.

I've seen a lot of barriers. People use chains, their garbage cans, make their own little easily movable barriers.

Maybe you could get a plastic 'kids playing here' sign that people place in the street, and put it in your drive. That might prevent some turnarounds.

Consider salvaging a 6' long 2x4 piece of wood and placing it on the end of your driveway. Put some reflectors on it for night. This small obstacle might be enough of a deterrent for your visitors. Even a couple of bricks would do.

You have no obligation to let these people use your private drive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">