• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trespassing and desttruction of personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tblaze410

What is the name of your state? California

I was recently out of town for 2-3 days and my neighbour used the opportunity to come in my back yard and take down a huge palm tree that was on my property because he claims it was blocking his view of the golf course. Will the police arrest him if I want to press charges and what should I tell them when I call?

Tom

HappyHusband

tblaze410 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was recently out of town for 2-3 days and my neighbour used the opportunity to come in my back yard and take down a huge palm tree that was on my property because he claims it was blocking his view of the golf course. Will the police arrest him if I want to press charges and what should I tell them when I call?

Tom
Wow.
Did the neighbor admit that he took it down?
If he removed it from your yard, you can add theft to the charges, and then sue him in civil court for the cost to replace the tree. And while you are doing all the new landscaping work, you should take the opportunity to add more palm trees.
The charges may not be arrestable offenses, but you should try.

Unbelievable.

tblaze410

Yes he did admit to it and he did remove it from my back yard, but I'm still trying to be a nice guy and resolve it without involving the police. However, it looks like it's going that way, since he seems to think he had a right to do this since his view was compromised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">