• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

logcabins

What is the name of your state? California, Placer County

I have a vacation home in Lake Tahoe, in the town of Truckee. My driveway runs the length of the 5 acres that I own.

A new neighbor moved in one year ago, and started using our driveway and a portion of our land to get to his property behind ours. He is "too lazy to drive another mile down the highway to access the road that leads to his own driveway", apparently it is faster to just drive across our property.

We asked him nicely to stop doing this, as we rent our property out, and the liability to us if he hurts a tenant is huge. We put boulders and a small fence up so he would get the message, but he just moved all this to keep driving through. We asked him again to stop several months later.

He has not stopped. I have contacted the sherrif's department and am in the process of writing him an informal cease and desist notice. I plan to send him this notice via certified mail.

Do I need a lawyer? He has ruined a portion of our land, broken my kids' toys by running over them. I'm not so concerned with a lawsuit to fix the broken/dead property, but I do want him to stop this nonsense.

PghREA

I think a letter coming from your attorney would be more effective.
Place a "Private Drive" sign at the beginning of your driveway.

ms.magoo

Trespassing Neighbour

You should definitely get a lawyer to write up that letter. I would also put up a gate on your road with a lock on it, an that should stop him from accessing your road an property. At the same time, also put up "No Trespassing" signs, an "Trespassers will be prosecuted" signs. If he continues to use your road, take down notes an also take picture evidence of any damages he incurs while on your property. If an when you might have to take him to court, that way you'll be able to prove his damages an be able to recover the amount he has done to your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">