• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Condo Owner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I own a condo townhouse in NJ. The condo is adjacent to a house of worship (I'm keeping the specific religon out of this discussion). There is a fence between the condo's parking lot and the "house of worship's" parking lot. The fence had two openings. The "house of worship's" parking lot has two other openings that open onto a public road.

Recently the "house of worship" has been hosting many large parties on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. By large I mean 500 - 600 guests. I also note that other than these parties, little else seems to take place at this "house of worship." It seems as though the "house of worship" has become a catering hall for weddings and the like.

Personally, I'm not terribly concerned that the place has become a catering hall, even though the property is not zoned for business ventures. But I am concerned that the condo's parking lot has become a thoroughfare for hundreds of cars every weekend.

The owner of the "house of worship" believes that the the condo's parking lot is public property. However the parking lot is definity private property. The last time that our parking lot was paved, the owners where charged by the condo association for the repairs. Furthermore, part of their parking lot is actually built on the condo's property. I'm not even concerned about the loss of our property to their parking lot either. I just don't want them to drive through of what we have left of our parking lot.

I'd like to know what my and the other owner's rights are.

Thank you

Last edited:

justalayman

I'd like to know what my and the other owner's rights are.

u
as an individual, very little. Where is your condo association while all this is going on? They need to send a letter to cease and desist the use of the condo lot for any purpose.

how about closing off the passage ways between the two lots? Obviously if you do not want them on your lot, you would not need the passage ways onto their lot. Close them off as the rest of the lot is.

Condo Owner

Many in condo feel that there is little that they can do. The management company said that he and his attorny have tried to talk with these people. But I feel that he just hasn't been trying hard enough.

A few of us aren't buying it. The condo association uses the management company's attorny (I don't like this eithe) the condo association simply does not have the money to get another attorny. We did close off one of two openings, but they opened up another gate that they own. So we spent $800 only to find that we have another opening.

justalayman

We did close off one of two openings, but they opened up another gate that they own. So we spent $800 only to find that we have another opening.
then put something in front of the gates on your side of the property line. what about curb stops? when you set a curb stop you drive in a couple pieces of rebar in the holes so they cannot be moved easily. How about people parking their cars in front of the gates. If there are that many people angry about this, simply agree that anytime one of you pulls into the lot and the space in front of one of the access points is empty, they park their car there.

Be creative but obviously not destructive or damaging to any of their property or cars.

FarmerJ

There is no reason that you cannot propose to the board that temporary means or permanent means of blocking openings be used , temps being things like LARGE concrete barricades that just sit on the ground and to have signs postet near the entries from the street to your condos driveway saying private property ,or no thru street traffic or more specifically `NO access to church, parking violators will be towed. Of course decorative concrete planters is another solution as long as they sit only on the condo associations property , Large timbers that have huge spikes holding them into the ground would be another solution or having holes drilled after utility line location checks are done and post put in , or say fencing , its all in what you want to propose to the board. Put all proposals in to writting , there is alot the association can do as long as it is on its property and is voted on. Brush up on your bylaws and attend meetings or see what is involved with proposing a meeting and go with info, your city can tell you what zoning rules-set backs there are for permanent fencing /barricades and if there are any rules regulations for temporary non permanent things that sit on the ground but would be too heavy to just move easly like concrete planters -baricades. You can learn what the cost of the planters ,items would be , how much it would cost to fill planters with dirt, flowers, vs shrubs, etc to bring to a meeting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">