• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DML

What is the name of your state? New York

Our neighbor has posted FLOOD LAND signs on both sides of property that we are trying to sell. Even though these signs are not on our property, it is detering potential buyers from looking at the property. Can he do that? What is our recourse?What is the name of your state?

SnowCajun

Our neighbor has posted FLOOD LAND signs on both sides of property that we are trying to sell. Even though these signs are not on our property, it is detering potential buyers from looking at the property. Can he do that? What is our recourse?
First off, I'm not an attorney, but I would certainly assume that if what he's posted is not the truth then he very well could be sued for damages for maliciously trying to dissuade others from purchasing what you have up for sale by false accusations about it. Maybe you should ask people who have looked at it and decided against it if those signs were the deciding factor, either because of what they said or just because of the troublesome neighbor, and try to get statements from them. On the other hand, if he's accurate and those are the facts then I honestly don't know!

If he's damaging your sale via lies then I would surely be taking photos of everything he's put up, documenting it all day by day, and phoning the police if for no other reason than to get what he's doing documented and on record. Build your case!

SnowCajun

Last edited:

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? New York

Our neighbor has posted FLOOD LAND signs on both sides of property that we are trying to sell. Even though these signs are not on our property, it is detering potential buyers from looking at the property. Can he do that? What is our recourse?What is the name of your state?
Is the property a floodplain?

Nippy

In much the same way as it's not legal to yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater...

...it's not ok to intentionally misrepresent something. That's deceitful and fraudlent.

I'm not one to take matters into my own hands, but under these circumstances (and given the unspoken assumption that the property in question isn't, in fact, wet), I'd take a few snappies of the offending signs for documentation and then take them down. This not only stops a truly obnoxious behavior, but sends a real clear message to the neighbor, as he cannot really call the police to report the cessation of a behavior that was illegal in the first place.

xylene

...it's not ok to intentionally misrepresent something. That's deceitful and fraudlent.

I'm not one to take matters into my own hands, but under these circumstances (and given the unspoken assumption that the property in question isn't, in fact, wet), I'd take a few snappies of the offending signs for documentation and then take them down. This not only stops a truly obnoxious behavior, but sends a real clear message to the neighbor, as he cannot really call the police to report the cessation of a behavior that was illegal in the first place.
Advising the poster to commit an act of vandalism, theft and trespass is pretty stupid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">