• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with neighbor over storage shed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbustums

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello. My sister has a situation with her neighbors over a storage shed/garage on her property. The roof collapsed on it and damaged the front and made the sides buckle out a little. It's really more of an eye sore than anything. It doesn't pose a threat to fall on anyone elses property. It's just a 18x15 shed. This is not a neighborhood where a committee has set standards for everyone to abide by. She does plan to get it torn down but doesn't not have the money to get it done right now. A neighbor has been trespassing and putting small animal traps on the property trying to catch rats. We believe he is trying to catch a rat, possibly in hopes of creating evidence to force a tear down. He has been warned before but was just caught doing it again. She called the police and filed a trespassing report. She has already been in contact with Neighborhood Services about a month ago and they said they can have it torn down for free but have not sent paperwork to fill out.

What can neighbors force in a situation like this?

Does it matter if he "claims" to have caught rats and is that evidence even admissible if he trespassed to get it?

Does she have the right to have the shed in this condition on her own property without fear of legal action being taken and for how long?

What does a neighbor have to prove if they want to and can take legal action to have the property torn down and removed?

What can you tell me about Neighborhood Services and how they operate and can she get some suggestions on options for having it torn down for the least amount of money?

FarmerJ

The nieghbor doesnt have the right to tresspass , when and if he does again and is seen doing it call the police. Fair odds are if nieghbor had called inspections they would have been out by now and sent her a letter. Suggest to her to send him a written letter via certified mail that he doesnt have consent to be on her property and bluff him , tell him there is a hidden camera on the property and if he is caught by it that will be enough to show the police and the courts he is tresspassing , sent via certified mail. Have her call this program again re the tear down or go in person to get the application. she can also call around to see if there is any re use group out there who will tear it down with the intention of re selling it to a customer who buys it from them with the intent of re use rather than buying new. ( first call for help , united way may have a lead on a local re use group whose focus is to keep things out of landfills like used building materials etc)

bbustums

She did call the police and I believe she said they took the traps as evidence. I'm sure he must have admitted he was on the property to the officer.

Would reuse groups take practically any old building material(this is just a fairly small amount of old wood) and typically be willing to do the work of tear down?

I guess my main concern right now is whether or not the neighbor can actually call the city and force her to immediately, or ever, to tear a structure down that's completely on her own property and under what circumstances can he do that? I want to give my sister some reassurance that she can't be forced into something simply because a mean neighbor.

nanomug

It depends on how the local code compliance takes the situation. While many areas don't have HOA's the locality has standards for trash on the property or even building materials.

However if an ordinance exists that covers this situation it is likely handled by a letter that explains the problem and how to solve the problem. Often there is a deadline and a call can often get it extended.

Remember than likely and often means that there is zero guarantee that it will happen this way.

Your sister should be proactive in getting the shed removed by following up with the organization and be proactive in dealing with the neighbor.

Amazon sells a fake camera that is less than $15 delivered that can be installed outside. This might keep the neighbor at bay especially with a letter telling them not to trespass.
Amazon.com: VideoSecu DIRBD Outdoor Indoor Imitation Security Surveillance Camera Fake IR Style Dummy CCTV camera free surveillance Decal: Electronics

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">