• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two fences - one property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

medinajg

What is the name of your state (WA)? I purchased my home in 1991 and at the time there were two fences. One that that I believe is inside my property line, closer to the house and another that appears to be on what I believe to be the property line. The fence that was where I believe the property line is has fallen and the material removed. The home behind has changed owners three times and each owner knew of the boundaries. The two fences resulted from disputes with the previous owner of my house and back neighbors.

I want to place the fence where I believe the original property. I discussed the issue with the back neighbor and he agreed only to change his mind a week later. He wants me to have the property surveyed and although an expensive undertaking I will do that. My concern has to do with statutes. Is there anything, legal-wise, that would preclude me from placing the fence on the original property line.

seniorjudge

He wants me to have the property surveyed and although an expensive undertaking I will do that.

That is the proper thing to do. Make sure the surveyor knows it is for a fence line.

Call your local Farm Bureau and ask them for fence laws in your state.

Or do you research in your state's statutes.

Chapter 16.60 RCW: Fences

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, don't put it ON the property line...give yourself an inch or two...

medinajg

Two fences - One property line

Is there a point in time where the back neighbor could assume that the property is his?

nextwife

Many WISE municipalities now REQUIRE a survey before they will issue a permit to allow a fence within ten feet of a presumed boundary line. I KNOW that a survey would absolutely be required in my village in these circumstances. Even if not, I would never advise any improvement, such as a garage, fence, addition, retaining wall, mound system etc ne placed without benefit of survey. It's much cheaper than future litigation and potential removal of the construction!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">