• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknown Underground sewer & water

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

derwith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I purchased a city lot 20 years ago that previously had an apartment building that burned down.

An adjacent properties sewer became blocked and it was then discovered that those utilities for the adjacent property were 10 ft down and traversed across my city lot to the street. The owner with the blocked sewer said that he would put the manicured lawn back the way it was after digging two holes with a backhoe. That hasn't happened. He did repair my sprinkler pipes.

Neither property owner knew that those underground utilities existed where they were.

My question: Can I require that they be moved off of my land?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

154NH773

Before your question can be answered, you will have to research your property to find if there are easements for these utilities. If you are unsure how to go about this, you can contract a title company to do the search for you. The cost shouldn't be much.

FarmerJ

I think you would be better off learning from your city now that it has been repaired under what conditions if any do they require new lines to be run that do not cross through anothers property. Then if they required it at the time the line was fixed youll have to decide if you want to push for that, other wise your free to contact the neighbor one last time via certified mail and demand with in set number of days that they finish repairing your lot or you will have no choice but to hire it out and will sue them in small claims court for the cost.

derwith

I contacted the title company and they said that there were no easements recorded.

The city public works wants no part of this. City is 13.000 residents.

FarmerJ

public works desk is obligated to tell you what the ords were at the time the line was repaired . meaning if they did not require new taps that did not cross thru other lots then not much to do but push the nbr into paying to correct the damage they caused. IF there is a ord that required new taps then at least next time around you have the right to block repairs and force nbr to follow the ord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">