• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unregistered vehicles in back yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Babygrlflo

First time post but have the same problem but in Marion, Indiana. I have three cars in my back yard were NOBODY can see them from the streets and my neighbors don't mind them there because they know I live paycheck to paycheck and is getting them ready for my 18 yr old niece and for my mother. Well I had them backed end plate to plate beside my dog kennel so that I would know if someone was messing with them. I also live on a Dead End Road which means there is no kind of traffic so the only possible way is to come on to my property and be nosy. Well last month on September 10th I received a notice from the city about the tall weeds I had back there. Well it turned out to be tree branches I had cut down last year that the trash company didn't pick up before a new company had bought them out. Well I took care of that only to have the code enforcers come back out and tag my cars for the plates not being renewed. Like I said these cars CAN NOT BE SEEN FROM THE STREET so the only way he knew they was there was when he sited me for the weeds. I put car covers over them because I was not going to renew the plates when my niece and mom was about to get them. Well they came back out on the 14th and towed them to the city pound were they have now sat for a month because I didn't have the money to get them out. I have renewed the plates now but the bill is now almost 1,500.00 so they sent me a letter telling me that I have until this Friday October 28th to pay the bill or they are going to auction them off or sale them to a scrap yard. I don't think they had the right to come on my property and mess with my cars seeing that NOBODY COULD SEE THEM BUT ME.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First time post but have the same problem but in Marion, Indiana. I have three cars in my back yard were NOBODY can see them from the streets and my neighbors don't mind them there because they know I live paycheck to paycheck and is getting them ready for my 18 yr old niece and for my mother. Well I had them backed end plate to plate beside my dog kennel so that I would know if someone was messing with them. I also live on a Dead End Road which means there is no kind of traffic so the only possible way is to come on to my property and be nosy. Well last month on September 10th I received a notice from the city about the tall weeds I had back there. Well it turned out to be tree branches I had cut down last year that the trash company didn't pick up before a new company had bought them out. Well I took care of that only to have the code enforcers come back out and tag my cars for the plates not being renewed. Like I said these cars CAN NOT BE SEEN FROM THE STREET so the only way he knew they was there was when he sited me for the weeds. I put car covers over them because I was not going to renew the plates when my niece and mom was about to get them. Well they came back out on the 14th and towed them to the city pound were they have now sat for a month because I didn't have the money to get them out. I have renewed the plates now but the bill is now almost 1,500.00 so they sent me a letter telling me that I have until this Friday October 28th to pay the bill or they are going to auction them off or sale them to a scrap yard. I don't think they had the right to come on my property and mess with my cars seeing that NOBODY COULD SEE THEM BUT ME.
Thank you for sharing. Code inspectors DO have the right to come on to your property. The city of Marion doesn't allow inoperable vehicles to be store outside on private property: Sec. 621-127. - Inoperable vehicle on private property.
It shall be a violation of this Code to store, maintain, or keep any inoperable vehicle outdoors on private property in a zoning district, the provisions of which do not specifically permit such a use. A person's first and second violations of this section in a twelve-month period shall be subject to admission of violation and payment of the designated civil penalty through the ordinance violations bureau in accordance with Chapter 103. A person's third and subsequent violations in a twelve-month period shall be subject to the enforcement procedures and penalties provided in section 103-3 of this Code.

FarmerJ

Just so you know there are many cities that have also taken the time to video record entire neighborhoods and If I recall there was a project by a giant internet data firm where they also were video recording cities inch by inch too, lastly do not forget now that drones can be used by us military and potentially to deliver goods to consumers its likely those same drones may end up using cameras to record the outsides of every thing someday which would be information they too could sell to cities such as inspections depts. Fair odds are one of your neighbors complained and many cities do have blight type related ordinances and inspectors do have every right to act on what they find when those things are on the outside of a structure. AS to the vehicles if they were garaged then the city would have considered them out of view ,(none of their concern) if they each were sitting on a trailer that had current plates in a driveway in a area that is not in violation of city ords then your city would not have towed them. Id suggest you have no recourse against your city and at this point just cut your losses and let the tow operator keep them.

Zigner

I think it's just as likely that an inspector happened to pass by the house (maybe he made a wrong turn) and saw the mini-forrest growing, so he took it upon himself to cite the grass. Once the grass was dealt with, he reinspected the property and could then see the cars.

FarmerJ

Zigner back when I had the 4plex I remember it being in the news that the city of Minneapolis was talking about having every block video recorded and that included alley views as a way to also note changes to structures and lots for say things done with out permits , the idea was to catch un permitted work and also allow them to more accurately assess a properties value by comparing old video to new and that was back in the 90s so by now I imagine some cities at some point may well use drones with cameras to do things like checking on problem properties too!

Zigner

Zigner back when I had the 4plex I remember it being in the news that the city of Minneapolis was talking about having every block video recorded and that included alley views as a way to also note changes to structures and lots for say things done with out permits , the idea was to catch un permitted work and also allow them to more accurately assess a properties value by comparing old video to new and that was back in the 90s so by now I imagine some cities at some point may well use drones with cameras to do things like checking on problem properties too!
I believe that's possible too, but I think my scenario is more likely ;)
(I had a relative who took great pride in reporting violations that he saw when driving around time on his time off...)

quincy

... I imagine some cities at some point may well use drones with cameras to do things like checking on problem properties too!
I know that there is at least one city in the US (Utica or Rochester, New York, maybe?) that prohibits the use of drones by city employees. Drone-use was deemed by the city to be an intrusion by the government into the private lives of its residents. Although I know drones have widespread use, and wider-spread contemplated uses, I would not be surprised to learn that other areas have followed, or have plans to follow, the New York city's lead by prohibiting their use.

adjusterjack

I imagine some cities at some point may well use drones with cameras to do things like checking on problem properties too!
They don't have to.

Google maps get updated every year or so and the aerial views show changes in structures on any property.

Google Earth has a feature where you can switch to past aerial views. I can see the changes to my own property as each map gets updated.

Zigner

They don't have to.

Google maps get updated every year or so and the aerial views show changes in structures on any property.

Google Earth has a feature where you can switch to past aerial views. I can see the changes to my own property as each map gets updated.
<SMH>

I understand that...but inspectors actually DO travel around the places they work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">