• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsupervised children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djgraves62

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

The story....We tried to help some "friends" when they were having trouble by allowing them to buy a trailer and move it onto our property. The "verbal" (mistake) agreement was that he would help me on my house in exchange for free rent and water/electric/septic hookups for 2 years and then they have to go. I have a well and they pay for their electric comsumption plus that of the well for both houses. They have 2 boys (ages 9 and 10) we have 3 boys (ages 4(disabled), 9, and 12). The first summer both wives stayed home and took care of the kids.

The problem.... This summer is coming up fast and so my wife asked what they were going to do about their boys while they were at work (the wife started working a couple months ago). They are planning on leaving them at home and not restricting them to their house - in other words allowing them to run unsupervised on my property without my permission. We have informed them that if they wish to pay my wife to babysit then their boys could come out and play, etc. and she would look after them. But she has enough on her plate with 3 boys of ours without having to worry about other children.

What are my legal responsibilities for these children if they are on my property unsupervised and what are my options?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

The story....We tried to help some "friends" when they were having trouble by allowing them to buy a trailer and move it onto our property. The "verbal" (mistake) agreement was that he would help me on my house in exchange for free rent and water/electric/septic hookups for 2 years and then they have to go. I have a well and they pay for their electric comsumption plus that of the well for both houses. They have 2 boys (ages 9 and 10) we have 3 boys (ages 4(disabled), 9, and 12). The first summer both wives stayed home and took care of the kids.

The problem.... This summer is coming up fast and so my wife asked what they were going to do about their boys while they were at work (the wife started working a couple months ago). They are planning on leaving them at home and not restricting them to their house - in other words allowing them to run unsupervised on my property without my permission. We have informed them that if they wish to pay my wife to babysit then their boys could come out and play, etc. and she would look after them. But she has enough on her plate with 3 boys of ours without having to worry about other children.

What are my legal responsibilities for these children if they are on my property unsupervised and what are my options?
You have no responsibilities for these children. You can call children's services if the boys are left unattended. I'd make that very clear to my tenants, just to let them know where you stand, if that is the route you choose to take.

djgraves62

My wife and I are worried that if one of these kids get hurt while on our property - we could be legally responsible. If we are supervising them at least we have some control over the situation. Ideas? Legalities?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">