• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of Right of Way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flh62

What is the name of your state? CT

My father-in-law owns a rear lot who's access is a right-of-way. The rear lot has been merged with a front lot that my father-in-law owns. His front lot is non-conforming as it does not meet the 200 foot minimum frontage. He build a house on the front lot in 1987 and he was grandfathered for the minimum frontage. He bought the rear lot in 1959 and there were no zoning laws that would have prohibited him from building in that rear lot until 1981. My husband and I would like to build a house on the rear lot, but we have been told by the town that the current zoning does not alow for building a house on a rear lot without a 20 foot access strip from the road. Pre-1981 zoning allowed for building on a rear lot as long as the owner of the rear lot pays for utilities and maintains the right-of-way. This rear lot has been used on a regular basis for hunting and the right-of-way has been maintained by my father-in-law. Why would this rear lot not be grandfathered like the front lot was?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">