• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility Easement HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Htwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri - My husband and I are looking to build in the next year, on 25 acres of land we own in a rural area. The well has been dug, the septic is going in as I type, now we need an easement for electricity. We've had the Co-op come out and give us our options, as they can't run a line from the existing line down the road, and it has to come in from an easement from a neighbor.

So first, we asked the closest neighbors, (we'll call them Neighbor A) who have a line at the back of their 10 acres, very far from their house, about 100 feet from our fence line. We've offered to have the line buried, access from our parcel so there would be no trucks coming in their land, etc and they won't budge. I FULLY understand this is their right, and they don't have to give us an easement. Although I think this is awful of them, that's simply because it will now cost us 10's of thousands to come in from miles away and we'll have to come in overhead instead of having the line buried (mainly because we have heavy limestone and a very large ridge that it will come down to get to our new house location). This will also mean cutting down acres and acres of beautiful trees.

Now moving onto the next neighbor, who singed an easement, granting the co-op authority to put the easement in to run the overhead line to our land. She (Margie) singed this about 2 months ago, and passed away about 2 weeks ago. The easement was notarized, and sent to the Co-op, but has not yet been recorded with the County. Margie had told my husband that she was willing her land to Jeremy, who has spoken to my husband several times and knows the plan. He even stated "Whatever we have to do to get you power". So we moved ahead with hiring an arborist crew to come take out the 30' of tree line (for acres!) needed to bring the power line through. They're set up to come this Sunday, so my husband texts Jeremy yesterday to find out what he wants done with the trees we're going to be cutting down on his land; sold, stacked, etc. and Jeremy responds by saying "I'm not sure we can start yet because that easement wasn't filed before Margie died and the property is now in the courts, so I'll need to talk to my lawyer to see if we can do anything before it's released to me". Now, I've done enough research to know the easement doesn't even HAVE to be filed, and that it runs with the land, not the owner. So technically, there's nothing he can do at this point. BUT, we can't make him understand that by Sunday if he doesn't want to, we don't want a bad relationship with him, and we also have to access his land through locked gates because of cattle, to cut the trees.

So, this is where I reach my limit with this easement crap. I'm beyond upset that it's so difficult and I just wish the first neighbor would give us the easement for an underground line, which would literally only be about 800 feet, vs acres of trees lost and overhead line coming through. My first question is, can a utility easement be written so that the co-op has to access neighbor A's easement from our land, and we will repair the barbed wire fence and any other damage, each and any time (at onset and any repair or maint) at our own expense?? I ask, because I'm going to go back to neighbor A and beg, plead and offer my first born. So what, if any restrictions, special instructions, can be included in a utility easement? Is there anything you would say or do, to get a "yes" from neighbor A? (They don't need money, they've got plenty).

My second question is....am I missing something with Jeremy and the easement we technically already have? I don't understand why he'd block us from cutting trees down just because Margies easement wasn't filed, if his intentions are to let us have the easement anyways, once the land is legally his?

I've got a link, but apparently, that's not allowed by new members, so I'm hoping this thread will post after several attempts. I will share the link later, if allowed.

..ours is parcel 9.01, neighbor A is parcel 9.02 and Jeremy/Margie is directly north at 6. Also, just some background, our land was originally separated and sold from 9.04 by original owner. Owner of 9.04 parcel has the pole coming in from the road, that can't be extended up the road to our parcel and we haven't asked him for an easement because it would have to come through his very gorgeous valley, or his very few trees would have to come out, and we're certain he wouldn't want that.

FlyingRon

You've already made errors. The easement should have been immediately recorded (even before it was sent to the poco). You should employ your own lawyer. In some states, and I'm not sure if Missouri is one and I'm a little busy now to look it up, the fact that the easement wasn't recorded before the mother's death may indeed make it invalid. Further, Jeremy is well advised to be careful. He is not the owner of the property yet, even if it is likely to become his later. He can't grant you an easement nor authorize you to do anything. It would take the property to be deeded to him through probate OR someone given the authority (executor appointed by the court) to allow the estate to grant you what you need.

Htwo

Based on Missouri law, a deed is not required to be recorded in order to be valid. A death may change that, but it looks like I'll need to hire an attorney to find out.

I'm hoping to have luck with neighbor A today...

154NH773

First of all, I can understand your frustration with Neighbor A, but you must understand it is his property and can do what he wishes. He is under no obligation to grant you an easement. He may have very good reason, due to the future consequences on his use of that land in the future. Or maybe he just doesn't want to give up rights to his property (that he pays taxes on).

However; if he has Co-op owned lines on his property, there is a small chance that their easement with him might allow them to continue the line to your property. Most utility access easements are written by the utilities and contain language that allows them privileges that most homeowners are unaware of. I would ask the co-op for a copy of any easement they have with him, or if they refuse, do a title search for it.

I can't answer the question about the legality of an unfiled easement, but I can understand the reluctance to act on it until questions about it can be answered for Jeramy.

Htwo

First of all, I can understand your frustration with Neighbor A, but you must understand it is his property and can do what he wishes. He is under no obligation to grant you an easement. He may have very good reason, due to the future consequences on his use of that land in the future. Or maybe he just doesn't want to give up rights to his property (that he pays taxes on).

However; if he has Co-op owned lines on his property, there is a small chance that their easement with him might allow them to continue the line to your property. Most utility access easements are written by the utilities and contain language that allows them privileges that most homeowners are unaware of. I would ask the co-op for a copy of any easement they have with him, or if they refuse, do a title search for it.

I can't answer the question about the legality of an unfiled easement, but I can understand the reluctance to act on it until questions about it can be answered for Jeramy.
I absolutely understand neighbor A is under no obligation...which I clearly stated, originally. They're both in their 70's, and I'm pretty sure it's because they're both just angry, old people. But....maybe they do plan on building on the back 50ft of their 10 acre lot....lol. As for any other reasons they may have, that's why I'm asking the questions about how easements can be written and what clauses they can contain. I want to go talk to them to see if there is anything we can work out. The Co-op has already come out and said that they don't have an easement from neighbor A, the line is owned by them, I guess, and our only option is to get an easement signed, or we're SOL. I can't imagine not being able to build our house because we can't get electricity. The thought actually brings me to tears.

As for Jeremy, I definitely understand him being cautious. It's just another drop in the bucket with this ordeal.

154NH773

I can't answer the question about the legality of an unfiled easement, but I can understand the reluctance to act on it until questions about it can be answered for Jeremy.

154NH773

Sorry my post seems to have been doubled. I can't delete it from my iPhone...

I sympathize with you. When building my house we were blocked by neighbors for over a year and had to run on a generator.

As far as easement language; you can put any conditions, restrictions, and rights in an easement that all parties agree on (and that would probably include the Co-op).

FlyingRon

Based on Missouri law, a deed is not required to be recorded in order to be valid. A death may change that, but it looks like I'll need to hire an attorney to find out.

I'm hoping to have luck with neighbor A today...
The deed was valid between you and Mom when she signed it (provided it was notarized or otherwise proven). It is not bearing on anybody else (i.e., the heirs or anybody that the property is transferred to), unless it is recorded. The question is whether that transfer has occurred before the deed was recorded and what impact that has This is one of the sticky sections of estate law that I have little experience with.

As stated, the putative heir can't really authorize you to do anything. On the otherhand, he can't stop you (directly, though he can certainly try to get the estate to enjoin you until things are settled).

Htwo

The deed was valid between you and Mom when she signed it (provided it was notarized or otherwise proven). It is not bearing on anybody else (i.e., the heirs or anybody that the property is transferred to), unless it is recorded. The question is whether that transfer has occurred before the deed was recorded and what impact that has This is one of the sticky sections of estate law that I have little experience with.

As stated, the putative heir can't really authorize you to do anything. On the otherhand, he can't stop you (directly, though he can certainly try to get the estate to enjoin you until things are settled).
We've been told multiple times by the Electric Co-op that the deed does not run with the owner, but runs with the land - regardless of it being recorded. The deed is between Marjorie and the Co-op, not us. We just facilitated the signing of it.

Htwo

If I had it to do over, for the price I would have installed solar... Worth a thought.
It's a very wooded area. We'd be hard pressed to get enough power to run a 4,000 sq ft house, greenhouse and a 3 bay shop - without clearing more trees - which makes me so sad. I don't want to lose all our trees by the house.

FlyingRon

We've been told multiple times by the Electric Co-op that the deed does not run with the owner, but runs with the land - regardless of it being recorded. The deed is between Marjorie and the Co-op, not us. We just facilitated the signing of it.
Seems in contradiction to MRS 442.400.

Htwo

Seems in contradiction to MRS 442.400.
We were just informed by legal counsel that this excludes utility easements, and that this statute does not apply to our situation. In his words, "a deed and a title are 2 very different things". Jeremy's attorney have him the go ahead to continue with our original plan, and the easement, whether recorded or not, stays with the land, not the owner. The electric co op confirmed that they have stacks of easements in their safe, up to 30 years old that have never been recorded. Our tree team is set to go this weekend and everyone is on the same page.

I don't think I'm going to approach neighbor A again, too much anxiety over the situation at this point. Im afraid I'd freak out if they said no again! Lol

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">