• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility easement questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Warped

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

Sorry that this is so long, I need to provide some details to make the situation clearer.

I own two homes that are on lots that join together back to back. Essentially, I own a 100' wide swath that runs from a regular residential street to a 4 lane highway. The total depth is about 375'. The house that faces the major road is on a septic sewer system and sits alongside an overpass. In order to hook it up to the city provided sewage system, the city will charge me approximately $10k and will need to dig to a depth of about 18' through the overpass to install the sewage pipe.

The home next door (downhill) from this property was hooked up to the city's sewage system about 5 years ago and has had nothing but problems with the sewage system.

I've asked the city's department of sanitation if it's allowable to run a sewer pipe through to the residential street and tie in there and they gave preliminary approval and the next step would be for them to approve the easement.

My question is, will this easement affect the saleability (is that a word?) of either or both houses should I decide to sell them separately in the future? I'm certain I can have the pipe run, even though it's probably 370' of pipe, to the residential street and tie in there for a lot less than $10k but I don't want to do it if it's going to hurt the value of either house. For the record, I can't see selling them for the foreseeable future. I sincerely appreciate any help any of you can offer in this.

BelizeBreeze

It's 6 and 1/2 dozen of the other in your case. Either way, an easement will have to be granted, simply because to hook into the sewer system the pipe has to be located on your land somewhere.

An easement simply gives the city permission to maintain their property, in this case, the sewer line. Each and every home in the city that uses electricity, water, gas or sewer has an easement.

Stop worrying about the small stuff. It will not affect your property values.

Warped

BelizeBreeze said:
It's 6 and 1/2 dozen of the other in your case. Either way, an easement will have to be granted, simply because to hook into the sewer system the pipe has to be located on your land somewhere.

An easement simply gives the city permission to maintain their property, in this case, the sewer line. Each and every home in the city that uses electricity, water, gas or sewer has an easement.

Stop worrying about the small stuff. It will not affect your property values.
Actually Belize if I were to pay the $10k and hook up to the line in the 4 lane highway, there would be no need of an easement unless you mean the one that would run from the highway to the house. *shrug* I just want to save as much money as I can. Thanks for your advice. :D

S

seniorjudge

Warped said:
Actually Belize if I were to pay the $10k and hook up to the line in the 4 lane highway, there would be no need of an easement unless you mean the one that would run from the highway to the house. *shrug* I just want to save as much money as I can. Thanks for your advice. :D
Your property values will go UP when you hook on to a sewer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">