• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacated Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgpickle

What is the name of your state? Missouri

We purchased a lake home in July of 2002. Next to this home approx. 20ft or less from the property line is a mobile home. This mobile home has a caved in roof, rotted floors, and is beyond repair. It sits elevated from the ground via Railroad Ties placed in lincoln log style to level it due to the slope of the land. It is leaning terribly and the only thing keeping it from sliding down the hill is the trees that have grown up around it. It is a major eyesoar as well as a hazard and is decreasing our property value as well as everyone elses around it. This property has been vacated since the early 1980's according to long time residents. I have tried to contact the owner who has inherited it due to a death in the family, but I haven't been able to make contact since we initially spoke in 2002. We have been using and maintaining the driveway since we have owned the place and the previous owner (whom is now deceased) also used and maintained the driveway. I do know the property taxes on this junk pile have been paid and are current. What can I legally do to elimanate this hazard? Can I claim this property and/or remove it myself?

John Se

Blight

this is blight, your city or county should have some ordances relating to blilghted property and dilapidated structures. They need to be turned in.

sgpickle

No Results

According to the county's health dept. there is no ordinances of such because it is a class 3 county. Another words there are no county regulations of any kind that can help me according to them. The health department stated that this is a common problem in that county and steps have been taken to try to regulate, but to no avail. Is there some other approach that I may be able to take? Keep in mind this place is a major fire hazard and snake/rodent infested place that I wish would rot away to nothing.

I would think that there would have to be some state law that would protect other property owners from such regardless of what class of county it is. :(

Some Random Guy

Determine what the property is worth
Take the time to track down the current owner.
Offer them 60-70% of its current price
Buy it, clean it up and sell it to someone who will take care of it.

sgpickle

Tried that already

I have his address and phone #. I have sent letters and talked to him on the phone 1 1/2 yrs ago. Any recent letters or phone calls I've made have gone unanswered. He doesn't want to sell and in my opinion he thinks he has a goldmine sitting there when in fact it isn't worth $300. This small lot (50'x100') is basically useless even if someone were to try to rebuild due to new sewage laws that he would have to follow.

I thought of just removing it myself and do the guy a favor, but not sure what he could do about that. Doesn't seem to be any laws to protect property owners in MO anyway.

Get this the County Health Dept. could only tell me that the 4th of July is coming up and to use it to our benefit.

jimmler

sgpickle said:
According to the county's health dept. there is no ordinances of such because it is a class 3 county. Another words there are no county regulations of any kind that can help me according to them. The health department stated that this is a common problem in that county and steps have been taken to try to regulate, but to no avail. Is there some other approach that I may be able to take? Keep in mind this place is a major fire hazard and snake/rodent infested place that I wish would rot away to nothing.

I would think that there would have to be some state law that would protect other property owners from such regardless of what class of county it is. :(
Do you have a county zoning board or commission? If you do, call them to see if it is covered in the zoning ordinance or rules.

Most counties have these, and the health department may not know about regulations other than their own.

If not, you may be out of luck unless you can do as the previous poster said and buy the property from the owner.

sgpickle

Out of luck

NO planning and zoing for this county. This stinks I would think that as close as this trailer sits to our property that we could have something done with it.

FarmerJ

Hope and Pray that lightning hits it and starts it on fire . And get involved in your county board to start creating zoning rules that they can enforce .

John Se

gently "help" it return to the earth

If it happens to fall off its foundation in a storm that would be an act of god, once its on the ground, if it happened to get a big hole in the roof the rain would come in and rot the structure, then the structure would by gravity it just fall and get grown over by weeds. why in not time it might wind up 3-4 feet tall. If someone posted a sign saying FREE Trailer, come and Haul. It would just go away. If the owner never shows up there then it would be a long time before they noticed. Is there power hooked up there? I guarnatee that the power company wont allow that once its fallen off its foundation or blocks and with a big hole in the roof. I think given a year or so that the earth would eventually consume it if helped along! What do you thinK

sgpickle

Sounding like nature over nurture here

There is no foundation just railroad ties stacked suspending one end about 15ft in the air. The only metal on this 60's model heap of junk is the siding and frame. As far as electricity there is none attached and never has been to my knowledge. No septic either they had it running onto the ground. As the health department said, "The 4th of July is coming quick!" There hasn't been anyone at the place ,other than a one time drive by 2 years ago, since the 80's. The only concern I have is its close proximity to my house. I am afraid of it catching on fire and then destroying or damaging my house. Thus bringing me back to this thing is a hazard!

John Se

Get a backhoe

Dig a hole on the lot smash it to bits and have it buried, no-one will be the wiser. Pay cash, act like your the owner, hire a guy from out of town. Or put up a sign that says "Free Trailer, You Haul"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">