• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kate22182

What is the name of your state? VA

Our downstairs neighbor has scratched my car in retaliation for noise coming out of our apartment at night. he asked us not to walk in our bedroom after 9 pm, because 'he can hear every step we make' . When we refused to comply he threatened that we will 'regret this'. Next morning we woke up and found my car scratched with car keys.

We have no proof that he was the one who vandalized my car. No one has heard him threatening us besides my husband and my mom.

Is it possible to make that person pay for the damage he has caused?

Thanks

Last edited:

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? VA

Our downstairs neighbor has scratched my car in retaliation for noise coming out of our apartment at night. he asked us not to walk in our bedroom after 9 pm, because 'he can hear every step we make' . When we refused to comply he threatened that we will 'regret this'. Next morning we woke up and found my car scratched with car keys.

We have no proof that he was the one who vandalized my car. No one has heard her threatening us besides my husband and my mom.

Is it possible to make that person pay for the damage he has caused?

Thanks
Q: Is it possible to make that person pay for the damage he has caused?

A: Which person?

kate22182

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The neighbor has complained to the leasing office about us walking around after 9 pm. The leasing officer explained that they can not prevent us from walking around our apartment (we do not make excessive noise).
The car was scratched the night after the neighbor threatened us.
We do not have any other enemies in our apartment complex.

Do you think that the information above proves that there is at least 50% probability that our downstairs neighbor vandalized our car?
What can we do to gather sufficient proof? (cameras, taped confession, etc).

Thanks again

seniorjudge

Q: Do you think that the information above proves that there is at least 50% probability that our downstairs neighbor vandalized our car?

A: No. Not even close.

Q: What can we do to gather sufficient proof? (cameras, taped confession, etc).

A: A witness or a confession would either one be really helpful.

Shay-Pari'e

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The neighbor has complained to the leasing office about us walking around after 9 pm. The leasing officer explained that they can not prevent us from walking around our apartment (we do not make excessive noise).
The car was scratched the night after the neighbor threatened us.
We do not have any other enemies in our apartment complex.

Do you think that the information above proves that there is at least 50% probability that our downstairs neighbor vandalized our car?
What can we do to gather sufficient proof? (cameras, taped confession, etc).

Thanks again

As of now, you have no proof. If you can video tape the guy, then you have proof.

Shay-Pari'e

How do you videotape someone doing something after the someone has already done it?

Time travel?

:confused

You are clueless. You have no proof, but if you can catch him in the act if he decides he wants to mess with your car again, then you will have proof.

Sorry SJ, I thought the op posted this.

Last edited:

LindaP777

How do you videotape someone doing something after the someone has already done it?
The OP is clairvoyant, silly! Even I can see that!

OP, did you check with your neighbors to see if anyone witnessed it? Even if you catch him next time, that doesn't prove he did it the first time,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">