• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video camera pointed at my house, yard, dining room window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mare1954

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I realize it is not illegal to install a video surveillance camera to protect your property, but if it is pointed only at your property, what are the parameters of what is legal here? What ideas are there to disable the camera that are also legal? My neighbor and I had a dispute over his failure to maintain his palms and I trim them on my side where they are encroaching. He angrily ordered me to not touch his palms and I promised to not trim them until they encroach on our property. Aside from angry words, he installed a video surveillance camera from a second story (his) and has pointed it directly at our property (one story) which I believe he is able to see into my dining room, yard and patio. I don't care if he sees me trimming encroaching palms, but it makes it uncomfortable to be out in our yard or have anyone over for dinner on the patio, and now we have to keep the blinds shut in the dining room. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

csi7

Easy way to see if the video camera is seeing inside your window, point a mirror back and if the light reflects off it, it is possible. He could also just have it pointed, not turned on, to be nasty.
A piece of tinfoil will reflect the light back onto the viewing lens.

It appears as if those palm trees have a special meaning for him ... so much so that he is taping to make sure they stay safe.

Weird, but not illegal. I would recommend you go over an talk to them & if they do not take the camera down, then point your camera at them !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">