• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Surveillance Camera pointed toward my home. Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

I live on a cul-de-sac with twelve other houses. One of my neighbors who I'll refer to as "steroid man" is continually causing problems with various neighbors. He is generally confrontational and threatening, especially with women and children. He's much nicer to the men, but I suspect that reflects a "cultural" attitude. Most of the folks on our court dislike the guy due to the way he treats his neighbors and the fact that he goes door to door making accusations whenever his property has been disturbed, regardless of the fact that he or nobody else saw who did it. Very offensive. We all wish he would just swim back to the island he came from.

Because of his prick-ish personality, his home has been toilet-papered on numerous occasions, the windows broken out of his vehicles, his vehicles keyed, his bushes pulled out, Christmas decorations removed, etc. I should also mention he is a high-school football coach. Many of his neighbors believe his current or former students have been responsible. The rest of the homes are never bothered--just his. He still accuses his neighbor's children, going door to door and threatening them that they better stay off his property. He also calls the police and code enforcement on his neighbors for petty BS stuff. He did a citizen's arrest on my next door neighbor's son for reckless driving, claiming the boy drives too fast on our court. He then bragged that he called the kid's pizza delivery job and got him fired, complaining that he drives recklessly while delivering pizza. (This is a 21 year old college student with three part-time jobs and seemingly, a nice kid). He complains constantly that EVERYBODY drives too fast on the court and once bragged to me about punching out a teenager that got mouthy with him. I half expect to someday see him walking through the neighborhood pee'ing on all the trees.

A neighbor recently pointed out that Steroid Man has installed several surveillance cameras under the eaves of his house, pointing all over the court and down the side of his house that faces the cross street. As I drove by, I looked and sure enough, there are cameras all over the place and one, which appears to be pointing right at my house. (My neighbor thought it looked like it was pointed at his house). This makes me rather uncomfortable, as I don't know whether he can see inside the windows when the curtains are open. I don't blame him for wanting to protect his property or catch the culprits in the act, but where is the legal line drawn, as to what he can video tape? Can he legally aim cameras at the homes of neighbors?

BelizeBreeze

It is not illegal for him to have security cameras even if they do point to other homes. Keep your drapes closed or buy a can of black spray paint.

S

seniorjudge

"...Any advise I give should be considered informational or educational and not be construed as legal advice...."

Advise is a verb.

Advice is a noun.

Eavesdropping is illegal in your state.

There is a current thread running on this but I forgot where it was.

Google

california revised statutes eavesdropping

I checked out the eavesdropping statute and it appears that it would apply to video taping, which included audio. (Private conversations, etc.) Did I miss something?

Steroid Man lives several houses away from me--I doubt that any front yard conversations would be picked up even if his system has audio capabilities. I just hate the idea that he's watching.....and that this might be a lawful activity.

By the way, he walks on two legs. He does have an expandable body, though. He puffs WAY up when he's confronting somebody, making sure that the confrontee is impressed by his great big muscles. As he walks away, we can see him deflate.

During a recent Neighborhood Watch meeting, he drew some odd looks from the police when he wanted to know specifically how much physical force he could use if he caught somebody tresspassing on his property.

BelizeBreeze

I checked out the eavesdropping statute and it appears that it would apply to video taping, which included audio. (Private conversations, etc.) Did I miss something?
Yes, the expectation of privacy which you do not have in public.

Thanks, BB.

I was hoping that if his camera was pointed at my house and he could see inside the windows, that it would be unlawful. It feels so creepy that I thought it had to be wrong. I'm not sure he CAN see inside the house, but it looks like it. When I pass by my front windows, I can see that little camera, so I'm guessing it can also see me.

Please humor me. How is this different from an individual who uses binoculars or a telescope to look inside someone's windows? Arent' they considered "peeping Toms?"

S

seniorjudge

RunningOnEmpty said:
...I checked out the eavesdropping statute and it appears that it would apply to video taping....
Turn him into the cops.

You Are Guilty

Not that I'd ever advocate such a thing, but a little "outside the box" thinking in these kinds of scenarios goes a long way to rectifying the problem.

For example, if you learn that Mr. Noneck is unusually adverse to say, homosexuality, make sure you have at least two gay couples over daily to make out on your porch in front of his camera.

A few days of "Guys Gone Wild" video and I'd be willing to bet that camera gets turned away. :)

Interesting topic on Good Morning America this A.M.

The average person is viewed on a security camera 200 times per day.

Just what was said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">