• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video taping / audio recording a neighbor.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sopranos22

Hi, I live in Delaware.

One of my neighbor's has been harassing me anyway she could find. From calling code enforcement to the police for BS reasons. Every time the cops or code enforcement would come, they would deem that there was no problems or anything to cite. Now she has taken it to the next level. Today, as I worked in my back yard, she went onto her neighbor's property (I am am positive they gave her permission to) and just stood there and watched me. As I would walk around my yard, she would follow me around just starring at me. My question is, am I allowed by law to video tape her so that I have evidence that she is stalking me. I am uncertain about Delaware's audio recording laws. Thank you very much for any help.

JustAPal00

Video is no problem as long as the cameras are on your property and not aimed into their private spece(home). You can't record the audio without both parties consent in your state. If you put up signs saying that there are audio/video cameras being used you will be safe with the audio too.

dlw99

Implied consent

The idea of a sign might turn off the neighbors you do get along with.

You might try pointing your video camera at the woman and tell her audibly both before and after you turn the camera on, that you are now, and will be in the future at any time, recording her with your audio/video camcorder.

If she engages you while you have the camera running, I believe the court will find this implied consent. I'm not an attorney, but was given this advice by a local district attorney for a similar situation.

Unfortuntately by doing so, you'll be the one taking it "to the next level". This type of confrontation will probably have her chasing you around with a camera as well.

Can you afford stationery survelliance cameras? If so, I'd recommend 24-7 dvr recording of your property and ignore the neighbor until she trespasses.

jumac

OP have you got any idea why she is doing this? One way to get her to stop may be to find out why she is doing this.

sopranos22

I know why she is doing it, I don't really want to say to details. All I can say is that I am 100% in right. I have done absolutely nothing to her. Lets just say she is working for someone to halt the process of me repairing my house.

Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate your time.

dlw99

A good survelliance system costs at least a few thousand dollars.

Can you afford that?

Prices vary widely, so you'll want to shop around, but this is a better solution than having to grab your video camera, make sure it's always charged and full of space/film, keep your cool, etc...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">